Fuel gauge not moving

kevlight, Nov 6, 6:58am
2003 ford courier king cab turbo diesel manual king cab 2WD

just noticed the fuel gauge not working ,are these fused ! as all the fuses i can find under the dash are intact,

went down and topped up the tank so the diesel is full,

the gauge moves a little bit when you turn the ignition onso there is power going through it

any ideas on how to repair ! where to start looking ! thanks

mugenb20b, Nov 6, 6:59am
It will most likely be the sender unit in the fuel tank.

kevlight, Nov 6, 7:05am
thanks, mugenb20bis this a job for a average home mechanic ! or is it for the garage, out of ten how difficult ! thanks Kev

intrade, Nov 6, 7:15am
go drive on a bumpy metal road and see if it comes right . if it does then its the sender in tank at fault and needs replacing as it sticks at times

mugenb20b, Nov 6, 7:41am
Not a difficult job (4 / 10), maybe a little awkward when handling the fuel tank (a hoist and a third arm that you've just grown would come in really handy), takes a couple of hours to do the job. If you are doing the job at home, make sure the top of the fuel tank is clean. Bonus if it's a flat deck ute.

luxy, Nov 6, 7:44am
disconnect the wire to the sender. turn on ignition, earth the wire that you removed. If your guage goes to full then you have a sender problem. If it does not move then you have a guage problem

ml6989, Nov 6, 9:16am
As poster #6 says. If you do have to remove the tank, be wise and do it when it is empty!

n1smo_gtir, Nov 6, 7:59pm
yup as above, those floaty arms that shows you how much fuel left can get stick if owners always run to empty.

desertcolt07, Nov 6, 11:22pm
"fuel gauge not moving"
infinite petrol!

kevlight, Nov 7, 1:43am
thanksluxy (977good info there, will try that first,
i had noticed a gradualnoise increase, indiesel fuel sloshing noise, coming from the tank especially when half full and wondered if a baffle in the fuel tank was loose .
now i have an urgent excuse to have a nosey ,under the ute, bugger that it is a canopy wellside, and access is rude
if it is a broken baffle jamming the fuel sender is there a fix for that!

,i dont want to go to all the trouble of dropping the tank to get the sender out and leave the job half done , the ute is a 2003 ford courier king cab turbo diesel manual king cab 2WDwith 170,000 klms on it, thanks for all the good info,regards Kev

kazbanz, Nov 7, 3:44am
Before you do anything -have a look under the ute and see if theres a ding in the tank. That might answer your question fast.