Which ute to buy

jackiep1, Nov 8, 5:46am
i need some advice please im looking at either a great wall or a ssangyang
ute, I have been told the Great wall has a mitzibishi motor and the Ssangyang has a mercedes! Would the ssangyang be expensive to service, get parts for if needed!Any info would be much appreciated

intrade, Nov 8, 5:47am
only one Amarok go for a wee drive in one on hills.

n3d4sp3d, Nov 8, 6:08am
the motor is about the only reliable component in the great wall

poppajn, Nov 8, 6:33am
Have you owned one, have you!

mugenb20b, Nov 8, 8:49am
I wouldn't bother with a Ssangyong, not a good ute. Great Wall is OK (value wise), it's built in the same factory as Holden Colorado / Rodeo, but the GW 4wd ute has one major design problem. It's too low and has a cross member halfway along the chassis that also sits very low to the ground and will limit its off road capability. Great Wall diesel appears to be using a VW motor.

And speaking of VW, someone clueless has suggested one.A small, 2 litre twin turbo diesel will only pump so much before it pops. Watch this space.

Now, on a serious note, if looking for a good, robust ute, that will last and won't depreciate so much, I would suggest a Mazda BT50 / Ford Ranger, Isuzu D Max, or even a Mitsubishi Triton.

xs1100, Nov 8, 8:58am
whats wrong with the ssangyoung

lazzo, Nov 8, 11:37am
I would recommend Ford Ranger or Mitsubishi Triton

poppajn, Nov 8, 9:36pm
Don,t know about these later ones, but we could never get part,s for our 2006/2008 model,s

jackiep1, Nov 8, 10:17pm
Did you have to have the parts imported!and did you have a the ute! what year was it!

Thanks

hfc2, Nov 9, 6:32am
Ranger, or Mazda bt , great truck.

intrade, Nov 9, 6:49am
let me tell you a about ssangyoung . i got a mb140 merc that is made by ssangyoung . they are not the worlds worst vehicles but parts just dont exist and you can only get em from tailand manila or korea . so unless you talk any of these languages your screwd with a ssangyoung.
There was a moron who said he can get any part for ssangyoung but he vanished when i said left headlight of my mb140=sangyoung istana. thats is the main reason whynot to buy ssangyoung .

mugenb20b, Nov 9, 6:51am
Don't waste your breath Intrade, Ssangyong is what OP will get by the looks of it.

poppajn, Nov 9, 7:03am
4 utes, 2006/2008,
3 month,s wait for a clutch; accelorator cable still not here 2 years later, got one made

intrade, Nov 9, 7:12am
if you got a merc engine you can use merc parts when you find out what they clonedyou could probably buy 1000 clutch cables from china for 8 us$ eachlikei found headlights 1000 units for 15 us$ but got to take 1000. units

xs1100, Nov 10, 5:50am
yes but that was a few years ago when they went broke now they have been re established and some quite prominent names behind them