Any thoughts on this Mondeo please?

Page 1 / 2
mugenb20b, Nov 10, 11:24pm
It's a good car actually. Nice to drive, comfortable and safe. Get the transmission serviced and cooling system looked at, should you choose to buy it.

intrade, Nov 10, 11:24pm
i would not pay more then 1500$ for that thing.

brummoi, Nov 10, 11:26pm
why's that!

curlcrown, Nov 11, 1:48am
If you can get something like that for $1500 give me a call, I'll give you $1000 on.

alan1111, Nov 11, 3:19am
Over the top in what they asking for it. I bet they have not done the cambelt either which is due for replacemant now.

mugenb20b, Nov 11, 3:20am
It's got a chain driven engine.

msparts, Nov 11, 3:40am
They are actually not a bad car although are better in manual (the auto boxs are a bit weak, in saying that if its got good service history and you keep it up then better chance of it being ok. Yes they are chain drivenm so no belt, as usual you get people going off half cocked saying cars are rubbish without knowing alot about them, the mondeo modeal before this was rubbish but the one you are looking at was a vast improvement. I do believe these had a common problem in the inlet manifold that could cause expesive repair but was reasonable cheaply prevented. ]

I do think its a bit pricery for a 2001 and have seen the MK2 2005 models go for that sort of money

unbeatabull, Nov 11, 4:21am
Much better car in Manual.

That is a Mk2 model. '05 was the Mk3.

Things to check - cooling system - common to leak from water pump, thermostat housing and heater hoses.

Inlet manifold, it was common for the runners/variable intake to have troubles. Most have been repaired by now - if its been serviced at a Ford Dealer it should be fine.

Check service history. Should of had a Auto Trans Flush by now, as well as spark plugs, coolant etc.

Can also sometimes have a common misfire problem, the coils are problematic. There is a new style coil out for them that fixes the problem, so its not a major if it happens.

Otherwise they are relatively reliable cars. They get the odd electrical bug with door actuators, power windows like any car that is 11+ years old now but other then that is pretty reliable. Service intervals of 12 months and 20,000k help keep maintenance cost down too, so long as you keep using the correct oil (5w30).

The manual's are a lot nicer to drive though, be sure to try one out before settling for an auto.

brummoi, Nov 11, 4:43am
Thanks for all the advice everyone. Msparts thought the price was a bit high but It looks about standard if others on TM are anything to go by.!Unfortunately, my better half insists on an auto.

ducatiss, Nov 11, 5:01am
I have just traded onewith similar specs and km's. Plus side is that they are reliable and roomy and very comfortable. 4 Star safety depending on spec as well. Handling is excellent.Parts are easily obtainable and if you are prepared to buy from the U.K, cheap as well. Weak points, door lock actuators fail from time to time (also keep an eye on the bonnet lock and turn it every week to prevent it seizing) Check for rust along bottom of all doors. These cars do not weather harsh environments well and the bottom of the rear doors rusted due to a design fault.Can drink a fuel around town if not driven gently. Auto's are a weak point and ruin what is otherwise an excellent car. You do get used to their lazy changes and wide ratios, but they arent a good thing. Auto's tend to fail early if not looked after. Coolant tanks fail at around the millage you are looking at but are cheap to replace.

sabbath-black, Nov 11, 5:06am
.just ignore tradein, everyone else does

ryanm2, Nov 11, 5:10am
thats a mk3 - the facelift mk3 came out in 2005 with a bit of chrome added,
From 01 to 03 there was a production fault with the inlet manifold as others have said.
We have owned 2 mk3's - one a 2002 wagon and currently an 01 Ghia Sedan. I like them, good on gas, plenty of creature comforts, have test driven a manual and they do go a lot better than the auto's - but itsmy missus' daily so i couldn't care less.

ryanm2, Nov 11, 5:14am
we paid for 5k for our ghia sedan, full leather, 8 airbags, remote locking, full service history, 1 owner ex demo car, 123km on the clock.
I thought that was good buying.

brummoi, Nov 11, 5:33am
sounds excellent!

brummoi, Nov 11, 5:40am
Unfortunately I won't be able to go and have a look until Tuesday evening at the earliest (me not him) but trying to organise a proper inspection between then and Thursday when it closes might be a bit optimistic.anyone know if these can be organized at very short notice!

ryanm2, Nov 11, 5:51am
Just take it a local mechanic - pay him an hours labour to look over it. with regards to the mondeo's in this country, the ex japanese ones are a higher spec.

carclan, Nov 11, 5:57am
I don't think they would of done the cam belt either - because they are chain drive

chebry, Nov 11, 6:06am
Some ex Jap Mondeos have NO local parts back up

fordkiwi27, Nov 11, 6:15am
missus 07 mondeo has just shat the trans. 3k later. dont think it had ever been serviced but.

brummoi, Nov 11, 6:43am
this one's ex-Belgium according to carjam

ducatiss, Nov 11, 8:06am
They were built in Belgium then imported new into NZ. But as someone else said, get one with all the bells and whistles. Many NZ new ones were poverty spec (ie wind up windows in the rear etc) The swirl flap ingestion issue was fixed after 2004.Get auto checked and beware of any vehicle used for towing.

fordcrzy, Nov 11, 8:56am
the autos ruin a good car. we had an ex lease 02 wagon (manual) that we bought at 3 years old. bloody great car but the steel wheels are made of butter and they seem to eat tires at an alarming rate which arent cheap in 16" size.

carclan, Nov 11, 9:12am
Our 2005 manual has been a good car, even with 210,000 on the clock.

ryanm2, Nov 11, 5:54pm
they are all built in Belgium but the Japanese destined ones have a higher interior grade.
Im not to sure what your comment implies.

kcf, Nov 11, 8:09pm
I've driven a couple of those in auto's as work cars.

The politest way to describe the experience would be that they're the worst auto trans I've ever driven, and I've driven 1970's auto's.

Used a truly remarkable amount of petrol considering it was driven gently Wellington-Palmy-Wellington.