Wheel nut issue. Your opinions please

mackenzie2, Nov 13, 12:15am
My car got a new WOF yesterday in Christchurch, it needed 3 new tyresI then drove 200kms home, this morning look at car and the hubcap is missing! BUT worse it is missing one of the wheel nuts also! Have rung the garage who did the WOF and he told me he doesn't give a toss, that he had done them up with the gun so they should have been tight enough, I am a trainee mechanic and have been taught to check them manually after, do I have any come back on the garage, am really hoping this has not caused any major damage! Your opinons please.

mackenzie2, Nov 13, 12:17am
Should have noted, I brought the car yesterday also, and had asked the previous owner to get a new WOF before purchase, No problems with car itself, just the Garage. Car looks bl**dy awful without the hubcap!

motorboy2011, Nov 13, 12:24am
name and shame

mackenzie2, Nov 13, 12:28am
Ohhh not sure if I am allowed to am I! We are in a small rural town and get our WOF's done here, the previous owner had used this garage before so obvioulsy just took it there again,

mackenzie2, Nov 13, 12:31am
The garage is a MTA member, so I may ring them.

bellky, Nov 13, 12:41am
Don't go back there.

mackenzie2, Nov 13, 12:42am
Ha certainly won't be

kazbanz, Nov 13, 1:43am
You are a trainee mechanic and you can't assess the damage yourself!

mrfxit, Nov 13, 1:58am
No damage reported or apparent apart from a missing hubcap & wheel nut.

mrfxit, Nov 13, 1:58am
No damage reported or apparent apart from a missing hubcap & wheel nut .
As long as the other nuts were done up ok, then there won't be any damage to the rims or studs.
Do you drive with the stereo up loud! because you should have been able to hear that nut banging around in the hubcap

elect70, Nov 13, 2:37am
must be an oldie to have hubcaps ., anyway tell garageman he is an arsewipe .

mackenzie2, Nov 13, 3:04am
All sorted now, had a matching nut at the workshop, so is now driveable, got the studs checked out and all good, Still pretty pi**ed at the attitude of the garage, but will have to get over that. Spoke to the MTA and told them of the garage experence, they said under the consumers guarentee act that the garage should fix the problem and if they wouldn't we could go through the small claims court. Not really worth it.

jmma, Nov 13, 3:10am

un_known, Nov 13, 3:23am
so can u get a wof with missing wheel nuts! and why did he take the wheel off anyway!

obviously hes muffed up, hes taken a wheel off for some reason and maybe lost the nut and the hub cap, probably lying on the garage floor.

mackenzie2, Nov 13, 3:38am
He put new tyres on, Not sure if the wheel nut was on or not, but if the tyre had just be changed, and there was a nut missing would assume it would be mentioned to the owner of the car, ! would it geta WOF with a nut misssing, the nut has come off on the way home, and rumbled about (yes stereo on) then taken hubcap off with it, somewhere on the 200 kms home.

noswalg, Nov 13, 3:41am
pretty hard to put 3 new tyres on without touching a wheelnut!

mrfxit, Nov 13, 4:50am
Technically WON'T get a wof with ANY number of wheel nuts missing apart from the 1 holding the steering wheel.

johnf_456, Nov 13, 4:58am
even some newer cars have hubcaps.

un_known, Nov 13, 4:58am
heh lol. shoulda read the first post better huh.

skin1235, Nov 13, 6:19am
trainee mechanic!, apprentice!

missing nut!

more concerned at the comment 'stereo on" so probably may not have heard a nut rattling round inside the hubcap until hubcap was dislodged

one thing you should have learnt as a trainee mechanic is to use your ears - and not for listening to stereo's . they're a vital part of your profession
the fact you just bought the car, then drove 200km home, and your first priority was to crank the sounds up, ta hell with listen to the car and engine kinda tells me you're not really that serious about being a trainee mechanic - go get a job in a music store

kazbanz, Nov 13, 6:36am
do wot! -

kazbanz, Nov 13, 6:38am
And again you are a trainee mechanic who drove a car withgout noticing something so fundimental !
Can you not accept responsibility for your own life!

mrfxit, Nov 13, 7:44am
My wife gets a bit peeved with me some days because I keep noticing different rattles/ vibrations & other odd things about our vehicles from time to time.
Also hates that it's not often I have the stereo on (never mind up loud)
BUT then again, it's amazing what you can feel through the car seat

mrfxit, Nov 13, 7:44am
LOL ;-) (not telling)