Driving from Dunedin to Christchurch

Page 1 / 2
tgray, Nov 13, 1:07am
Never done it before, so looking for any must-stops along the way!

datoofairy, Nov 13, 1:08am
Moeraki Boulders are worth a look if you've never been before.

stabi360, Nov 13, 1:12am
if you like steam punk the old oamaru area by the port is not to bad the engine looks good also quite a few steampunk bits and bobs on the roadside if you look
ill start you off theres a small one by the car sales near the shell garage as you come into town

mm12345, Nov 13, 1:27am
Enjoy from Dunedin to Timaru.Timaru to Chch is possibly the most uninteresting stretch of flat boring road in NZ, with too few passing lanes, and too many nannies crawling along at 75 km/h.

likit, Nov 13, 2:30am
There are approx. 16 passing lanes between Timaru & Chch,the road is flat & straight,what else do you want!I drive this road everyday in a truck speed limited to 90km/hr & it amazes me how motorists have lost the art of overtaking.The road ahead could be 3-4 km dead straight with an oncoming car approx. 3kms away & the guy behind me won't pass however there could be a 200m stretch of road ahead of me with no cars coming except a fast approaching corner & same driver will pass.

ryanm2, Nov 13, 6:04am
im always aware of a pig sitting somewhere waiting to catch someone doing 110km.

morrisman1, Nov 13, 6:06am
Ashburton has a good aviation museum where they have a harrier jump-jet.

mm12345, Nov 13, 6:27am
Yep - who will ping you just as you're overtaking some w*nker who'd been doing 80 km/h for the past 10km, but accelerated to 100km/h every time there had been an opportunity to pass.No excuse under the law for breaking the law, but once upon a time, when cops were concerned about road safety rather than revenue, you'd get away with it.

net_oz, Nov 13, 7:36am
If you have time turn off at Pukeuri and head up the Waitaki Valley past the hydro lakes to Omarama, Twizel, Tekapo. Fairlie and the inland route to Rakia Gorge and then Christchurch.

butterfly2041, Nov 13, 8:57am
stop at Hamden for the best fish and chips ever, you can drive 2 mins down to the beach to eat them :)

a.woodrow, Nov 13, 9:28am
+1 for this, donation to get in and you get a personal tour guide

ml6989, Nov 13, 9:33am
Correct, and also the best cone ice creams at the shop diagonally opposite the Fish and Chip shop.

franc123, Nov 13, 9:48am
and bloody speed cameras, Rolleston through Dunsandel area seems to be the worst for this.If there is anywhere in NZ where cruise control is handy its the Chch Timaru drive.

trogedon, Nov 14, 7:48am
I went from Riccarton to Sheil Hill (suburb on the seaward side of Dunedin harbour) in 3 1/2 hours one Tuesday morning. Never again.
There is some cool topiary on the right near Moeraki Boulders (by an old hotel on the left). Its worth driving slowly through the main street of Temuka too - to see how small town NZ used to be.

bex25388, Nov 14, 8:21am
No way you did that in 3.5hrs, not a chance.

mm12345, Nov 14, 8:30am
In Oct. 1982, I did Kaikoura to Chch in 1 hour 20 minutes, average about 85 mph, up to 140 mph on the straights.It was the silliest thing I've ever done on the road, but I didn't get caught.

tgray, Nov 14, 8:34am
20 years ago, I was a passenger in a car that drove from downtown Hamilton to Te Atatu Sth in West Auckland in under 1 hour.
Very stupid thing to do.

mm12345, Nov 14, 8:39am
That would have been easy a few decades ago - dead easy.Ii was considered to be a 4 hour trip, excluding stops.
Most cars would have been cruising at about 125-130 km/h on the straights.
People drive slower now, cars are safer, fewer people die on the roads too, and more die driving zimmer frames in rest homes.

alimac1, Nov 14, 9:26am
3hrs 20min Fairfield to Church Corner in a Mk 2 Cortina 1600 back in 1980

trogedon, Nov 14, 9:44am
Yep, let Riccarton at 10.30AM to meet up with friends leaving Sheil Hill (actually Harbour Heights) at 1PM. I was cruising along the plains at 180kph etc. 1995 in my 4ws Prelude.

trogedon, Nov 14, 9:44am
Yep, let Riccarton at 10.30AM to meet up with friends leaving Sheil Hill (actually Harbour Heights) at 1PM. I was cruising along the plains at 180kph etc.

lazzo, Nov 14, 8:53pm
Timaru through to Christchurch is basically all loooooong straight roads, yes there are plenty of passing lanes, much work has been done on this in recent years, do be very careful to stick to the speed limits all the way from Timaru through to Christchurch, if you're ever going to be caught it will be on this stretch of road.

muzzaandmich, Nov 14, 9:56pm
K eep to the road rules or keep off the road. Speed kills you are not only putting your own life at risk but other road users lives the life you save may be your own. There isno wayyou can do Ch Ch to Dnin 3.5

NZTools, Nov 14, 11:56pm
361 kms from riccaraton road to Sheil hill. Traveled over 3.5hrs is an average speed of just over 100kph.
Sure that means some faily "Spirited" driiving, but it is certainly not impossible.

bex25388, Nov 15, 12:01am
Must be one of those stories where the time gets shorted as the time period since it gets longer id say.