Cleaning the exterior of car windows.

Page 1 / 2
escapees, Nov 14, 3:50am
Anyone have any hints or products they know to help me get the scum off my windscreen (the sort that appears when u drive into the sun on the motorway!).New car, rained last night and whe i was on the way to work caught the sun and couldnt see a thing! Someone said Jiff or ajax and hot water and then a wipe with meths! any ideas! thanks

m16d, Nov 14, 3:55am
Jiff and plenty of water. Dont grind it in but.

next-to-normal, Nov 14, 6:06am
acetone is good for getting wiperblade rubber off

splinter67, Nov 14, 6:57am
Dont use jiff on your windows its an abrasive if ya cant work out why you shouldnt use it sell your car and ride a pushbike it will be safer for all of us meths will do it or try bars bugs

nzdoug, Nov 14, 8:13am
Commercial glass scrub from automotive or glass outlets yhemRain Off exterior.
Rain beads off above 60 km without wipers!
Use them anyways.

nzdoug, Nov 14, 8:13am
Commercial glass scrub from automotive or glass outlets then Rain Off Exterior treatment.
Rain beads off above 60 km without wipers!
Use them anyways.

phalanax, Nov 14, 8:44am
Jiff works.i used it and its better than meths or many other glass cleaners just dont get to carried away with it.wash or wipe offafter

jmma, Nov 14, 9:44am
Knew someone was missing, hows splinter67 (o:

splinter67, Nov 14, 6:51pm
I am great mate had a good holiday how are you

intrade, Nov 14, 6:54pm
i use newspaper. from a old friend who was a printer . the solvent in the newspaper from the black ink clean the muck.

splinter67, Nov 14, 6:59pm
What dont flash lube make a window cleaner lol

kazbanz, Nov 14, 7:55pm
STOP--is this a NEW car

andrewph, Nov 14, 8:12pm
This will sound dumb but use blue glass cleaner and wipe off using news paper. It works. Lift the wiper blades off the screen and apply thinners to a rag and wipe the screen. If all else fails get a car painter to hit it with the polish and buff.

kazbanz, Nov 14, 9:08pm
Sorry to sound like a know it all but first off if it is a brand new car Id be being a bit carefull at using anything at all untill you speak to the dealership.
If its a car new to you (second hand) then theres a sequence to use.
Just to explain.-when cars arrive from Japan the screen is covered in wrighting,a lot of it is wax crayon,Then its cleaned at the dealership but we want the car to look shiney so wax and silicone and tyre dressing etc gets splashed around. This ends up on the wiper blades and the screen
First off you need to use a product to remove all traces of siliconefrom the screen.-- 2k thinners etc. The blades need the same treatment (sometimes its better just to replace them)
Once that is done I prefer to use a windowpolish by pacer-this is a very fine cutting compound.
Usually this will remove everything

bellky, Nov 14, 9:10pm
Brasso.

reggienz, Nov 14, 9:18pm
Don't what ever you do use Brasso. It's extremely abrasive.

bellky, Nov 14, 9:21pm
Use Brasso. Don't listen to above^ as they got no idea.

jmma, Nov 14, 9:35pm
Blind stag (o:

trader_84, Nov 14, 10:22pm
This .

kazbanz, Nov 14, 10:28pm
Guys if you dont get the silicone off first youll just smear it around

splinter67, Nov 14, 11:42pm
and dud has no legs as well

gman35, Nov 14, 11:56pm
Yes kazbanz , most car co. detailers give me the sh*ts. Usually far too much interior shine on dash , tyre walls oily as hell , smearing for miles all over windows. Less is more guys !

socram, Nov 15, 1:17am
Kerosene - its what the glass/screen fitters used to use and is non abrasive. I am great fan of diluted Simple Green too.

brad166, Nov 15, 4:02am
1500 grit sand paper on a d.a with water, but you probably don't have access to that

crab2, Nov 15, 4:16am
good grief I would never use any of those mentioned, after I have washed the car using the carbrush which has inbuilt soap I just wipe over with the blue window cleaning wet microcloth inside and out