Are Mazda Atenza's just way overpriced

ryanm2, Nov 14, 4:24am
comparatively to other cars of same era, power, style, features on the market. Im looking here in chch and I can't understand why anyone would buy one.

curlcrown, Nov 14, 4:25am
Look in Auckland. Cars are cheaper here, we have send a lot of cars to Christchurch and even including shipping it still works out a lot cheaper.

gunhand, Nov 14, 4:26am
Todays Primeras (mid 90s ones) Remember when they started coming in! Every man and his dog was lineing up for one. They were way over priced as well.

kazbanz, Nov 14, 4:27am
They are still very popular cars in Japan and here -demand drives prices up

tgray, Nov 14, 4:30am
I don't think anything is under or overpriced, as the market is self regulating and cars only sell for the going price because they can.
I am also a believer of 'natural attrition' and think it a big mistake for a Govt to intervene to manipulate the market through regulation on imports etc.
One could call it the great 'failure of good intentions', but that's another story.

tgray, Nov 14, 4:30am
I don't think anything is under or overpriced, as the market is self regulating and cars only sell for the going price because they can.
I am also a believer in 'natural attrition' and think it's a big mistake for a Govt to intervene to manipulate the market through regulation on imports etc.
One could call it the great 'failure of good intentions', but that's another story.

h.e, Nov 14, 4:35am
i have been looking at atenzas as well and thinking the same thing.looking for a manual one which seem to command a price of around 19k with 80-90k on the clock.

moosie_21, Nov 14, 7:03am
Same as Toyota Altezza's, way overpriced for what they are and numerous as hell. Still, lots of people own them and are happy with them, so yes the market decides unfortunately.

smac, Nov 14, 8:21am
Looked long and hard at them when we were shopping, along with Mondeo's, Accords.the Mazda just doesn't stack up when it comes to bang for buck. It's all very well to say they can't be over priced because the market self regulates. But you CAN say you get less for your money buying a 6/Atenza.

franc123, Nov 14, 9:51am
They certainly don't stack up when equivalent year/km Mondeo can be had for half to 2/3rds the price, the Mazda is probably a bit better specced but the advantages end there, theres no difference in mechanical reliability given much of the major oily bits under the bonnet are shared between the two, and despite the bit more sophisticated chassis setup in the Mazda they don't behave any better on the road either. Its really up to the buyer to decide whether they are worth thousands more, IMO definitely not.

craigsmith, Nov 14, 9:45pm
Get a Mondy. Much better value and doesn't look like some Jap kid's space rocket drawing.

ryanm2, Nov 15, 3:26am
we have a mk3 ghia mondeo and are happy with it - however its a sedan so am keeping an eye on for a wagon. At this rate i think we will settle for a later generation 3.0 subaru outback .

freedomaira320, Nov 15, 4:56am
How can anything be overpriced! The market determines the value. Mazdas cost more because they're more popular.