Mazda Atenza auto/ tiptronic.

tfc3, Mar 5, 8:22am
Hi, I have a 2007 Mazda Atenza 5 speed auto with tiptronic. Purchased at 30 000k now 50 000k. Every thing works fine usually. From time time the tiptronic doesn't work. When placed in "M" the"M" light does not come on and I can not change up or down.When back in "A" every thing works as it should. When in "M" and the tiptronic stops working the transmission stays in the gear selected untill back in "A",then all works OK.
The transmission has been serviced as required and all OK there.
After a little bit of research I think the "M" mode switch may be faulty. This switch is operated when the selector is moved to"M".
Any comments or advise please before I start to check out the switch.
Thank You

tamarillo, Mar 5, 6:40pm
Good news is the auto itself seems fine! so something to do with the selector system? Someone in the know will come and help, but thought I'd bump this up.

tfc3, Mar 17, 7:58am
Thanks for help tamarillo.
The switches in the selector system all check out ok. The transmission checks out ok. There are no fault codes. This problem started after I had a transmission cooler fitted by my local mechanic. The cooler is fitted before the radiator. The original transmission cooler built into the radiator has been bypassed. Could the additional oil cooler be a problem. Any help please.
Thanks.

delerium1, Mar 17, 8:12am
probably a broken micro switch. transmission knows its not in auto mode but cant pick up what it has been put in.

tfc3, Mar 17, 8:14am
All switches check out under load ok.

tfc3, Apr 15, 11:28am
Any ideas please . Have removed the cooler and all ok, cooler conected and tiptronic problems back. Any ideas please. Thanks

nzmax, Apr 15, 11:50am
Im no mechanic or Mazda expert, so just a thought im throwing out there. Is it possible that the new cooler is not letting the transmission reach its optimum operating temperature, and computer is not allowing tiptronic mode to operate. Im saying this as with my 4spd auto Maxima, overdrive wont engage until transmission is hot enough as noted in the Maxima handbook. I understand that the OD system in my car is electronically operated, and im guessing that the tiptronic operation is worked electronically also. Just a thought.

fordcrzy, Apr 16, 1:14am
is there a trans temp sender in the old oil cooler that is now not getting any oil to it and not registering the oil temp correctly? may just be getting a bit of radiated heat from the coolant?
also maybe the cooler is dropping the fluid pressure too much due to better flow than the old one? maybe try a restrictor in the cooler line?

tfc3, Mar 10, 6:16pm
Fordcrzy and nzmax thank you for youf input and yes I am now considering both suggestions. Thank you