Go Kart/Quad bike engine - bike or car muffler?

daryl14, Nov 15, 1:26pm
Me Off road Go kart is a bit loud. Don't want to damage the young fella's hearing too much when we go out for rides. Has a home built muffler on it now. Should I try a bike engine Muffler from ATV wreckers or would a car Muffler quieten it down even better!

I know Bikes aren't too loud from factory but I wonder if because of shortened pipe it makes it worse! If I use a car muffler I don't want to lose my torque by being too unrestrictive. Would keeping a small outlet pipe fix this!

kazbanz, Nov 15, 7:34pm
I think you are thinking wrong. If you want torque then just change the gearing
As regards mufflers gosh theres a fair bit of science goes into shutting vehicles up and retaining power etc.If you dont want to do a bunch of experimenting then using the factory muffler the engine origonally came with is the easiest solution imo
As far as the jetting is concerned. I tend to go the other way by going to the rich end and plug chopping my way back to the correct plug color.
My theory being Id rather kill a couple of plugs rather than hole a piston.
Lean jetting and open pipe to me asks for a popped top

kaymay88, Nov 15, 10:14pm
use original muffler and earplugs.

daryl14, Nov 16, 5:31am
Good calls Kaz. God only knows how long the Carbs been running on lean! I will consider going to quad wrecker for a good muffler if the noise gets too much.

I've had reasonable success getting a gear shift cable from MR2 to work as my gear shifter. A little fine tuning to go.