Best fire theft and third party insurance NZ

infinityjrc, Nov 18, 10:16pm
Hi I am looking to insure my little second hand 2001 toyota and wondered if anyone has any recommendations on the best insurance around for it at the moment.!

eagles9999, Nov 18, 10:21pm
AA was the cheapest of the 4 insurance companies I got quotes from 2 months ago .but that was for Comprehensive. Worth a try!

rbd, Nov 18, 11:10pm
By best I'm guessing you just mean cheapest right!.

Cheapest up front or cheapest when you get screwed over! Your choice.

intrade, Nov 18, 11:12pm
only insurance i ever got was nac they do tourists as well and you can add people to the list. dont know how good they are never had a claim luckely

a.woodrow, Nov 18, 11:16pm
I believe third party with state still covers windscreens so def worth a look into

intrade, Nov 18, 11:18pm
state dont fixyour car and only pay if you use ther cheapest cowboy butchers for repairs. thats what we had found out about state on last thread that i recall.

a.woodrow, Nov 18, 11:22pm
Have been with state for many years, you pick your own repairer and I have never had any troubles for any of my claims, albeit glass only. they even replaced my driving lights with new genuine parts, nil excess

sw20, Nov 18, 11:22pm
intrade you do know State and NAC are the same company right!

intrade, Nov 18, 11:27pm
yea well i said i dont know how good nac isand i never had a claim with them we had to use them because they insure tourists oficially, no idea if they dont pay out in the end. the thread about state i recall was about from 2003

franc123, Nov 18, 11:42pm
+1, also before signing up for TPFT price either their comprehensive or comprehensive plus policies, I found the premium difference was that small that going comprehensive was a no brainer. Lifetime NCB with them too if you qualify.

meathead_timaru, Nov 18, 11:49pm
But paying more doesn't necessarily mean there's less likelihood of an insurance company trying to screw you over - they all try to do that anyway. It just means you paid more.

What needs to be done is look at the actual policy.

kcf, Nov 19, 12:04am
When I priced State and AMI for my cheap hack, AMI was near 50% cheaper than State.So I changed to them.

sr2, Nov 19, 1:43am
I think you may be confusing State with AA (AA is an Australian owned/run insurance company). State allows you to choose your repairer where as the AA puts the repair job out to tender. Ask any member of the CRA what they think of the AA and you??

sw20, Nov 19, 3:05am
I have been happy with AMI. I have had two claims in 14 years (that made me break even!) Both times were handled quickly and professionally. The first was an at fault write off. I had the money within the week. The second was a fender bender at a roundabout where someone didn't give way and I went into their drivers door. I chose my repairer and the job was completed quickly. No excess.

trader_84, Nov 19, 3:28am
My son had his hilux stolen just under 2 weeks ago. He got pissed at this place in town and chose not to drive home drunk. He went to pick it up the next morning and the place he parked in was empty. He was/is insured with the AA. He saw the coppers and filed a report then got intouch with AA. In less than a week (or a week max) he had recieved his dosh payment. Right through out the week we were all hoping his bastard Surf did not turn up - and it didn't. He got more from his insurance than he would have got on here, by several k. I wonder who took it and where it ended up! Ummm . early 90's, grey, 2LTE auto, from PN on around 10 Nov I think. We don't want it back . just want to know who took it so we can go around and 'thank' them. But yeah . AA did our eldest alright.

andrew.t, Nov 23, 11:27pm
I just recently went through canvassing insurance companies for my used car I just bought. I saved $130 compared to State by going with AA. And another $30 saved for buying online. -Comprehensive, glass and car hire included.
Not a member of AA either.

aktow, Nov 24, 12:39pm
i have had no trouble with aa,, i have had three accidents in the last two years and none my fault. i got the car taken to the panelbeater i wanted to fix the car. they sent out a insurance assessor to look at the car and the car was fixed.

mokaubach, Nov 24, 3:05pm
#1, Don't deal directly with any insurance company directly, they are all dogs. Place all of your insurance with a Broker. They have much better buying power than you do. When claim time comes, they have much more clout than you to fight for a good outcome too. I haven't dealt directly with any Insurer for 15 years now and wouldn't think of going back.