Any older mechanics or classic car enthusiasts.

Page 1 / 2
frank_grimys, Nov 21, 8:01am
I have a challenge - I have a 3.5L rover, dizzy 35D8, GL63 points.I'm in the process of getting things up and running with a new vacuum advance and converting to electronic pickup.The kit I got is the same as one sold on trademe, and they say that I can boogie the pickup module to attach it to the backing plate on the dizzy.

But my predicament, since no ones put any pics up or said anything about it on the net, is I don't know where the pickup should sit on the plate.If anyone knows where on a pickup they actually pick up, I could just go off where the points used to open from the lobes to get it close enough; as I'm unsure of whether it would pick up the cam lobe signal in the middle of the pickup, or the left or right.

And before I get the "buy a new dizzy," or "it's a bastardized job," where would the fun be in that!Wait not fun, I meant low/no cost.

supernova2, Nov 21, 8:57am
Its been like 30 years since I fitted that type of thing but I thought that the pickup unit used the points screws to hold it on the base plate.If you think about it it make no difference where it is (within reason) as you just rotate the dizzy to get the timing right and then it will just do its thing from there onwards.Where did you get the kit as surely they should know the answer.

strobo, Nov 21, 5:26pm
cam lobe ! Here is your cluelolis there a bit missing from the kit !

strobo, Nov 21, 5:26pm
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php!t=327049

maybe the lobe is your clue lol! is there a part missing from the kit!

strobo, Nov 21, 5:46pm
4cylexampleabove ,same principle. scroll down for the pics , youmay gleen something from this!

mechnificent, Nov 21, 6:59pm
It's not going to be a problem wherever you put it. As long as the pickup is close enough to get triggered it will work. If you put it in a different place to where the points were firing you may have to rotate the distributor a little, just as you would to set the timing normally. If the distributor can't be turned very far because of space, you might have to move all the plug leads one space to the left or right and then set the timing, but that is a simple process that should be hard to get wrong if you only have two leads out at a time.

frank_grimys, Nov 21, 10:25pm
Are you sure, as if I have it wrong, then the rotor won't be near the point on the cap it's supposed to transfer the spark to!And regardless of how much I retard or advance from moving the dizzy it will always be out.

mechnificent, Nov 21, 10:47pm
Lol. you are right.

mechnificent, Nov 21, 10:50pm
It's been a while.

Ok, do you have a picture of the pickup. is it magnetic, optical. What interrupts it, if it's a magnetic, is the magnet built into the sensor!

supernova2, Nov 22, 7:18am
So is you kit the correct one for your dizzy or just something that will have to be modified to work!Sutrely if its the correct kit it should only go in where it should be.

This is the type of kit i would be useing. http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID009145

sparkyz, Nov 22, 8:36am
Most electronic ignition units require a fitting kit for the distributor. The pickup usually mounts where the points were. They also usually have a magnetic or optical piece that fits down over the distributor cam.
The Lumenition system in the previous link shows these parts.

neville48, Nov 22, 8:49am
Way back my friend had the alloy Buick with the same block as the Rover and he had a chevy dizzy in it and I'm sure it was done with minimum fuss, maybe worth a conversion for easy bits.

snoopy221, Nov 22, 11:18am
If anyone knows where on a pickup they actually pick up, I could just go off where the points used to open from the lobes to get it close enough; as I'm unsure of whether it would pick up the cam lobe signal in the middle of the pickup, or the left or right.

Correct answer is

THE MIDDLE

K

Irrespective of wether it is an optical(lumenition) or hall effect.
And most retrofit kits generaly mount via the positioning of the points-I.E. they use the points rubbing block as a timing reference.
what is the **chopper** in your kit-the piece that fits over the dissy cam lobes-plastic(optronic-lumenit-
ion) or solid with vertical ridges-hall effect!
upload some pics to ya *my trademe*-my photos and copy and paste the browser link in to this thread.K

elect70, Nov 23, 3:16am
How aboutthe fitting screw holes are made into a slot so can move it . I seem to remember doing that for abreakerless ignition I fitted on my318chargerwith a tiny round file

strobo, Nov 23, 4:50am
Need more feed back from OP

frank_grimys, Nov 23, 9:44am
Most helpful post by far, thanks man.

flockton55, Nov 24, 2:23am
Looking at the pics, you still seem to be missing a six-pointed star wheel to go over the top of the points cam. The lobes themselves won't trigger the spark from the pickup.

strobo, Nov 24, 4:24am
We are looking for a reluctor (sp)

strobo, Nov 24, 4:24am
We are looking for a reluctor ring(sp)

strobo, Nov 24, 7:50pm
If you dogetthat far aroundto setting the timing , rememberno~1 on TDC on the "compression stroke" !
Rotor pointing to no1 in the cap usually.
The distributor shaft should ideallyrun true,no slop!

strobo, Nov 24, 7:50pm
If you dogetthat far aroundto setting the timing , rememberno~1 on TDC on the "compression stroke" !
Rotor pointing to no1 in the cap usually.
The distributor shaft should ideallyrun true,no slop!( air gap & timing) Andif points areused thiseffects dwell angle ( the number of degrees the cam turns before the points just begin to open .As with points a dwell meter would be usedas adjusting the gap per dwell angleis way more accurate dynamically than static, Small gap large dwell /large gap small dwell.

frank_grimys, Nov 25, 12:13am
It's sitting under the rotor in the second photo, the black magnetic ring.

frank_grimys, Nov 25, 12:19am
Yes, made sure it was sitting tdc on the compression stroke of cyl.1, and checked it matched right on the cap.

Does anyone know someone with a timing light or facilities in either Rotorua or Taupo area that could show me how to time things properly, as I'm more keen to learn then just pay and not see how it's done, hence the whole boat is a learning project.

saki, Nov 25, 8:09am
I fitted an ignition system from the same trader to my MK2 GT cortina, the reluctor ring didnt sit low enough in relation to the pick up so gently filled the step off it, good system for the price, because I dont use the car often I like to get the oil pressure up and make sure the carb is full (mechanical fuel pump) car ussualy starts before this without pumping the accelerator, never did that with points also runs a bit smoother. (for a 40+ y/o car)

frank_grimys, Nov 25, 8:13am
the kit I got was off eBay for $87, freight to my door incl (I'm a rural delivery), everyone has a wholesaler so I try to trace the line back.