Pit Bikes for Kids

ambeea, Nov 22, 5:27am
Are these any good! Looking at 50 cc size. What is good make! And where do I go to have a look at some of these in Christchurch!

sw20, Nov 22, 5:47am
IMO I wouldn't bother. If you want to get the little guys into motorcycling, start them off on a wee 50cc dirt bike. All the major brands make them. Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha.

kazbanz, Nov 22, 6:04am
Ambeea--based on the tone of your question DON'T do it.
Sorry to be blunt but in pit bikes theres just too much junk out there or stuff too powerfull for your kids experience level.
How old are your kids and what riding experience have YOU had (to pass on to them) and what experience have the kids had!
How old are your kids! are they average size/big or small for their age.
Where are you planning on riding!
not being nasty here at all-I have 5 kids who ride and I used to do a bit of kid rider training so I can likely advise you oon a good bike

tazcsv, Nov 22, 11:41pm
Pays to stick with branded bikes, depends on age but if young then a quad is a great place to start, my son has a suzuki 50 quad and has been riding it since he was 3 and will upgrade to a 2 wheeler at 5yrs, most of these branded 50cc bike you can pickup for under $1000, my suzuki quad was $400 and goes great. you will spend more time trying to keep the cheap bikes running than riding.

c.c.d, Nov 22, 11:58pm
Stick with a 2 wheeler.Dont go with a quad.Lots killed on quads more than 2 wheels. Honda CRF50 Z50 etc

kazbanz, Nov 23, 12:04am
Sorry ccd but your facts are a bit twisted. YES unquestionably there have been kids killed on quads. But very much like putting a learner driver in a manual V8 in the wet on slick tyres or a learner rider on a superbike the kids that have been killed have been on ADULTsized quads.
without hesitation the LT50 quad is the safest way to get started on a bike. Theres a bunch of reasons for this but the big one is that they have a tether kill switch

tazcsv, Nov 23, 12:40am
We are talking kids quads here not adult size, big differnce.

purple666, Nov 23, 2:40am
Those little suzuki quads are great, granddaughter was riding one at 2 1/2, 2up no worries and they go forever even lugging adults around. Not very keen on getting ridden into seawater up to the handlebars.

c.c.d, Nov 23, 2:41am
If you look at the numbers then you will see 16 kids killed in NZ between 2000 & 2008.That is a lot more than 2wheel bikes.Most kids that can ride a push bike can ride a pit bike. The Honda has a power limit adjust screw so most the power can be locked out.Dont think it would be like driving in the rain on slicks at all.

kazbanz, Nov 23, 3:32am
CCD-I think you are missing my point. The children that were killed or killed themselves did so on adult sized quads or in one case on a 3/4 sized quad. They were on a vehicle far too powerfull for their size and riding ability.
The issue is that most quads are auto clutch so no matter how big are extremely easy to learn the basic skill required to make them move.
This lulls parents and kids into a false sense of security --ohh look at little jonny aqt 6 years oldon my suzuki 250 quad or honda 450 farm quad.
Thus the reference to a superbike or V8 car.
Honestly would you put lil Johhny on a Kdx500 or a Yz250. You wouldn't simply because its physically impossible but you see my point!
Sorry but I'm passionate about this stuff so Im proobably ranting.
I like to build confidence in a child at the same pase as they build competence. An LT50 is about the perfect way to start learning throttle control and braking without the other issues two wheelers have.
And no Im definitely not for a milisecond anti bikes. ALL my kids ride and even my baby girl has been on a motorbike

tazcsv, Nov 25, 8:29pm
Well said Kazbanz, my 2yr old loves his lt50 and rides it well but there is no way i would let him on my Tecate quad.