Paint Question

tradingfreak360, Nov 23, 8:05pm
I'm looking to purchase a new Mahindra tractor, red in colour and it is quite prone to fading. It literally turns pink in a short period.
According to an expert you need to scuff the original paint with a 3M gray scotch brite pad and put 2 coats of automotive acrylic urethane clear coat over top.
Any idea on cost to get it done!

grangies, Nov 23, 8:32pm
To keep the costs down, you could remove all the panels from the tractor and scotch brite it your self.

Use water and a bit of Jif to hep scuff it up real good. Try and keep your hand flat as well, to avoid excessive finger lines and a more even flattening off of the gloss.

Just remember that cheap as chips 2k clear will also fade, so tell the painter you want a HS (high-solids) or MS (medium solids) premium brand.

The cheap MS clears may fade too soon.

If I was painting it for you, I'd suggest Carboline C130. It may cost a bit more but the it's worth it.

If you do all the prep, the paint shop should only charge you for 2-3 hours plus materials. ( slovent wash / tack off / clear coat)

grangies, Nov 23, 8:40pm
The price difference between different quality clear coats can be very substantial.

For example:A 7.5L kit of Novol 2k Economy Clear can be bought for as little as $115. Where as a 5L kit of Carboline C 130 costs about $300.

tradingfreak360, Nov 23, 8:53pm
Thanks for they reply.
Do the panels, etc have to be removed when applying clear coat.
Google Mahindra 8560 Cab loader to give you idea on size.
Approx. how much clear coat would be required for the red bits!
Tractor will be in a harsh environment so would need to be high quality.

grangies, Nov 23, 9:08pm
A top quality clear coat like Carboline is the kind of stuff that is used on Super Yachts etc, that are exposed to the ocean and sun for years on end.

Yes the panels should be removed, and painted separately to the loader.

About 5 liters should get 2-3 good coats of clear over it all.

If you have the $$$ take it to a good panel and paint shop, and they will be able to remove everything and reassemble itafter paint.

May cost around $3000 or more though.

Are the panels sheet-metal or fibreglass/plastic!

tradingfreak360, Nov 23, 9:13pm
I'm pretty sure all panels a sheet-metal.
Is the $3000 estimate inc brite!

grangies, Nov 23, 9:40pm
Yep. That would be them doing the entire job from beginning to end.