Bridgestone Ecopia tyres -fuel savings

mirand, Nov 26, 10:41am
Hi, I have to get two new tyres tomorrow and apparently you can achieve fuel savings of over 5% by putting these tyres on your car. Do you have them on your car & have you noticed a difference in fuel consumption!
Would be interested in feedback,
Thanks

trdbzr, Nov 26, 10:53am
I have 4 Toyo Eco Walker tyres on one of my cars, and to be honest I have not noticed any difference. I didn't buy them because of fuel savings, only because I got a good deal on them. You are more likely to save fuel by ensuring you have the tyres filled up to the optimum psi at all times and by driving more carefully ie. not accelerating hard, not braking hard etc. Other factors can affect fuel economy as well, such as spark plugs, air filter, engine oil etc.

scoobydufus, Nov 26, 10:55am
Hi again. There are quite a few reviews on these tyres, just did a quick search and found some very positive comments.

http://www.google.co.nz/search!q=Bridgestone+Ecopia+feedback&rls=com.microsoft:en-nz:IE-Address&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7ADRA_en&redir_esc=&ei=LEmzULp4qciYBY2ggOgK

skyblue17, Nov 26, 11:17am
Check Consumers report. From memory slight fuel saving and worse wet-weather braking.

unbeatabull, Nov 26, 6:15pm
I personally wouldn't use Ecopia's. They do have considerable less grip as they are a harder compound tyre to achieve the "savings".

thunderbolt, Nov 26, 8:11pm
A few of the lease companies use these due to tyre life, but are finding the coarse chip in rural South Island roads are wearing them out too fast.
Not much more than 20,000 on Mondeo wagons in some cases.

pauldw, Nov 26, 8:38pm
I moved from Turanza ER 300 to Ecopia EX 10 and haven't noticed much apart from less tyre wear. How hard do you have to push before the difference in grip shows! Are all Ecopia the same compound, the Consumer/Choice test was on Ecopia EP100s!

bellky, Nov 26, 8:40pm
Tui anyone!

doug207, Nov 26, 8:55pm
If you want them, buy them.
Poor grip, as with any cheap nasty hard compound junk.
Drive the car nicer and get the same economy gains for free

holden_fan2006, Nov 27, 6:39am
Pump ya tyres up an extra 5psi.

unbeatabull, Nov 27, 6:44am
You'll notice it more in the wet, and you wont know in some cases until its too late. They'd be fine for Nanna pottying around town but Id never put them on a car I intend on using on the open road.

johnf_456, Nov 27, 11:24am
Even in town you want the grip, especially for when someone ignores a red light or stop sign and force you to do an evasive action.

planespotterhvn, Nov 27, 6:18pm
How come they have less grip yet don't have any apparent fuel savings and are too soft and wear out quicker! A low rolling resistance that is less grippy would be a harder compound which should wear better!
I have kept an average fuel consumption record for my car and when I fitted the Ecopias I was disappointed that no difference was noted on my fuel consumption averages.