Why does my van not start

petermcg, Nov 29, 6:08am
93 Mits 2.5 diesel just replaced waterpump and now it does not go. Drove into the workshop, it sat for a week, replaced pump and it does now not start.

theram1, Nov 29, 6:18am
Bleed it.

Sorry I saw fuelnot water.
you could try bleeding the radiator though :)

saxman99, Nov 29, 6:22am
The battery is flat from leaving the interior light on for a week!

dent, Nov 29, 6:23am
was the cambelt taken off! is it back on and timed correctly! dose it crank over and not fire!

petermcg, Nov 29, 7:54am
dent wrote:
was the cambelt taken off! is it back on and timed correctly! dose it crank over and not fire![/quote
It does crank over but does not fire, the belt was not removed, but the spring from the tensioner was.

petermcg, Nov 29, 8:30am
It does crank over but does not fire, the belt was not removed, but the spring from the tensioner was.

intrade, Nov 29, 8:33am
you dont make sense to me sorry. is the waterpump cam belt driven!

intrade, Nov 29, 8:35am
also what engine code is on it!

msigg, Nov 29, 8:53am
Sounds like the belt may have slipped, hope not!.

petermcg, Nov 29, 7:36pm
The water pump is not driven by the cam belt, The cambelt was not actually removed , but the spring tensioner was, so I can only presume that it has jumped a tooth on the bottom gear. That must be enough to make it not start.

petermcg, Nov 29, 7:37pm
The pump is not driven by the cam belt, but the spring tensioner hooks on to the pump, so needs to be removed.

intrade, Nov 29, 7:52pm
check these things.
fuelcut silanoid operates click on off on pump.
glowplugs got 12 volt supply to plugs while glowing is in progress
then you whip the timingcover off and rotate it to its markings and check thatonce there was nothing wrong with the above .
i would not try and start it till you found the problem and it be one of the above things.

dunwoody, Nov 29, 8:27pm
Had a similer problem. A rat had chewed through the wire to the fuel pump.

thunderbolt, Nov 29, 9:00pm
If the tensioner was still bolted in place, and you only removed and refitted the spring, then timing belt should still be timed ok.

Easy enough to check though as above.