04 mitsi l300 van wont go into reverse?

kimandreece, Dec 2, 7:23am
as above, manual gearbox. I hold the clutch in and try putting into reverse, but its like theres no reverse option on the selector. It does not grind or make any noise. What do you guys reckon!

mugenb20b, Dec 2, 7:25am
Try 1st then reverse.

morrisjvan, Dec 2, 7:38am
mine does (doesn't ) do that as well. not all the time but pisses me off .Mine is an 1987 so it's good to know that in 17 years mitsubishi haven't got around to sorting it out.

theram1, Dec 2, 7:57am
Don't take it out of forward gear until you stop, when mine does that I put it in 5 th because it is closest. Similar to a constant mesh gear box if you take it out of gear before you a fully stopped it can be a real grinding bugger to get back in.

tuttyclan, Dec 2, 8:19am
Try the advise as above, if no go try turning the engine off then trying reverse.If that dosent work then try driving it forwards up to at least 5 to 10km/h then chuck it in reverse.Used to work great on an old Nissan C20 lol.

lolzor123, Dec 2, 8:41am
I find 1st to reverse while not moving helps - also, frowned upon, but - lift the clutch very slightly as you try push it into reverse.seems to do the trick sometimes too.

yogibearz, Dec 2, 7:55pm
There is a selector link in the gearbox that needs replacing. Its not uncommon on L300. it can be done with the box in place but you do need to remove the selectors from under neath. Its a fiddly job but the dealers will know all about it. it is not an expensive part from memory.

ratherbefishin, Dec 3, 2:31am
Your linkages are worn. But say no more.Mitsubishi.pfft.! Get a Toyota or Nissan.