Bf falcon, I have lost the spark plugs.

Page 1 / 2
wombletomble, Dec 7, 7:36am
Just had the coon in for a service and the guy tells me he could only replace 3 out of 6 sparkplugs at 30 bucks a pop. Now she runs like a bucket of shit and I got charged $344 for the effort. including oil and an after marketoil filter

Had a ball joint replaced that looks like it was smashed in to place instead of pressed in.

I have decided to cut my looses and try replace the last 3 my self but I cant find them for the life of me,

Any one have a clue!

kingfisher21, Dec 7, 7:42am
! Wierd, why could he only do three! Was he blind!

wombletomble, Dec 7, 7:46am
I cant see any!

unbeatabull, Dec 7, 7:47am
It is easy to break/damage the coils when removing them as they get stuck on with age, and also the wiring and Camshaft sensors if they were unplugged. Air hoses etc also have to be removed to replace plugs. Also, the rubber gromets under the black cover are all that hold the coils on the plugs - if any of these have fallen out - which is very common! - and cover been refitted without them there will be nothing holding the coil onto the plug.

As far as you've lost the other 3, what do you mean! You can't find where they are on the engine, or you paid for them but haven't recieved them!

The balljoint thing - that is common practise. It is the easiest and quickest way to replace them. 15 minute job vs 90 minute job on the press (Unless you're like us that have invested into a special tool just for doing these in place!)

wombletomble, Dec 7, 7:50am
3 have been fitted according to the guy but he could not do the rest. I have no idea where the bastards are on the engine! and yes it would apear that some of the loom is floating free and not put back to where it was started.

unbeatabull, Dec 7, 7:54am
You have to remove the air intake hose from the Air Filter to throttle body. The black cover on top of the head has to come off - There is a bastard of a bolt at the back of the engine (we never refit), all are 5mm allen keys. Also have to pull out PCV and the brake booster hose out of its clip. Once black cover removed, the 6 coils + plugs are visible. The one at the back of the engine you will need a short extension and universal joint to undo and be careful not to break it! very important to keep as square on as possible.

Its about a hour job to be done correctly (although we clean throttle body while its off as it is a common thing to get dirty over 100k and cause misfiring & rough idle)

unbeatabull, Dec 7, 7:58am
And as I mentioned before, when you have the black cover off look underneath and you will see where there should be 6 rubber grommets in the cover directly above each coil (sometimes they do stick to the coil instead of coming off with the cover) check they are all there and be careful taking the cover off not to lose any!

unbeatabull, Dec 7, 8:06am
Correct. Pretty much how plugs on all engines are on anything with DOHC which is practically everything nowadays.

jmma, Dec 7, 8:07am
Don't do it !Find someone that knows where they are, will save a lot of grieve .

ntalke, Dec 7, 8:16am
Sounds like it was not a Ford Dealer

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php!t=11229532

for BA but BF the same but may be some difference in Plugs

waythe, Dec 7, 10:03am
Just leave it alone I am not a car mechanic but I knew enough to do this it's a hard job but my plugs where original at 155k's it's not like the old days the plugs should last 100,000Km's they don't need replaceing every service I think you where taken for a ride but for goodness sack leave it to a falcon specalist

strobo, Dec 7, 6:59pm
Rip shit & bust !

mike77, Dec 7, 9:57pm
Its a sad day, when blokes are saying you should leave changing the spark plugs on ya coon to an expert.

It's not hard at all, even the back one.

It's not as if you need to remove intake manifolds, radiators or engine mounts and tip the bastid motor fwd like some of these V6's.

chook90, Dec 7, 10:03pm
They are dead easy to do. The rear bolt on the coil cover can be a bugger to get to so most just leave it out.

Coil packs are a known issue on the turbo ones, not sure about gas ones but if you need them be prepared for your friendly ford dealer to leave you with a sloppy bum. DO NOT buy any of the aftermarket coils ex repco or supercheap, they wont cut the mustard.

thunderbolt, Dec 7, 10:06pm
x1
Perhaps Jmma is trying to avoid the next thread.
Changed the plugs on my BF and now it won't start or runs on four cyls.

Some people are just not cut out for practical tasks, not saying the OP isn't, just an observation.

jmma, Dec 7, 10:09pm
Yes, just doesn't ooze confidence when you can't find your spark plugs (o:

franc123, Dec 7, 10:23pm
Yes funny I also thought how this paid professional would have coped with a manifold off job on a Jap or Euro V6, or even an HF Commie V6 for that matter, if such a ballsup of changing plugs on a Barra Falcon I6 was made lol.These are about as simple as late model engines get in terms of maintenance.

wombletomble, Dec 7, 11:11pm
ok ok I have located the plugs and noticed that the coil pack have a spring runing down to contact the spark plags. A tight 16mm socket will fit. I have found that one of the plastic cover thing has been tapped with electrical tape.

O well thats what happens when you take ya coon to DERK DERKA S&M Automotive in Manurewa. Live in learn I guess.

The guy called me back after i left the work shop because he had only put 4 litres of oil in it but should have been 6 and only god knows what grade of oil it was.

O well at least I got my wof.

wombletomble, Dec 7, 11:16pm
S&M AUTOMOTIVE MANUREWA

Awesome for fixing Camels or pita bread

great for failing Warrants for no reason and useless on fixing vehicles.

very good at charging for half arsed job.

TELL ALL YOUR FREINDS, I ONLY STATE FACTS

ntalke, Dec 7, 11:26pm
Would check also if they have installed the correct plugs,the ones they replaced

mrfxit, Dec 7, 11:31pm
Anything to do with this lot!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%26M

wombletomble, Dec 7, 11:41pm
If I go back I guess so lol.

Up date , now she will not rev past 3000rpm on 3 to 5 cylinders I am just freckling impressed.

jmma, Dec 7, 11:45pm
Up date , now she will not rev past 3000rpm on 3 to 5 cylinders I am just freckling impressed.

wombletomble (23 )12:41 pm, Sat 8 Dec #23

(o:

splinter67, Dec 7, 11:47pm
Here comes that thread jmma thunderbolt was right hmm need a faster computer lol

ntalke, Dec 7, 11:49pm
Reckon they have damaged a coil/coils