Bf falcon, I have lost the spark plugs.

Page 2 / 2
splinter67, Dec 7, 11:50pm
was it doing this before you found the sparkplugs !

a.woodrow, Dec 8, 12:27am
hey jmma you're not just a pretty face

brokebloke1, Dec 8, 1:56am
I did my sparkplugs on our BA two months back very easy to do , number 6 plug is a slow process as you have to run two or three short extentions on to a ratchet, but only took me about 45 mins to do.
What id like to know is how to test the coil packs on them with a muiltmeter!
can anyone help

brokebloke1, Dec 8, 1:56am
I did my sparkplugs on our BA two months back very easy to do , number 6 plug is a slow process as you have to run two or three short extentions on to a ratchet, but only took me about 45 mins to do.
What id like to know is how to test the coil packs on them with a muiltmeter!
can anyone help
By the way the correct replacement plugs are
NGK FR5EI-13price $94/set
and replacement coils are repco CC353 price $96ea

12shirl, Dec 8, 7:03am
coil packs easlly broken if u dont know what yr doin, I know theirs a u-tube video on how to check em, plugs should b fusion iredium or similar and as previous poster said u will need a univesal joint and extension to get the one at the back. also plugs are deep so take care not to break em. their is a torque setting for new plugs but cant remember wot it is ( google is yr friend) easy to do, give yourself time and dont rush it .

wombletomble, Dec 8, 7:28am
ok all, I got it sorted. The dick had removed the coil pacs but not the rubber so when he put them back on the old spark plugs the connection was not made. I have ripped the lot out streched the springs just a tad and put back over new plugs, located the missing rubber mounts that hold the coil packs in place and "BOOM" runs like a coon should. dam camel jockies, I try to support the small business only to find out there freaking idiots,

jmma, Dec 8, 7:58am
Well done, now I will apologise for my post 10(o:

unbeatabull, Dec 8, 9:11am
You can check the resistance between the pins for low tension side, and also between one pin and the spring for the high tension side.

However, 95% of coils on Falcons that have been faulty I have found to still have same resistance readings as a good coil.

Other way to check is for signs of tracking down plugs, cracks in the boots etc. But easiest way for us is to just run a power balance test, find which cylinder is faulty, put coil in a different cylinder and plug in another cylinder again and retest, which ever cylinder is now faulty will tell which the problem is. Practically, is much quicker and efficient then testing things electronically so saves customer labour costs.

BTW the engines take 6.5 or 7L of oil depending year - BF should have the newer type filter (Short fat one AFL101 genuine number) which is 6.5L, BA with the longer filter (AFL1) takes 7L.

Being an LPG it should also be on 15w40 Grade oil.

wombletomble, Dec 9, 1:50am
Ok she has a short on one of the plugs. I noticed a split at the end of one of the rubber cover things. I would love to know what there called so I replace them. How do I locate the one that is shorting out. Run it in the dark and look for the pretty sparks!

unbeatabull, Dec 9, 2:46am
Pull them out and have a look and find the one that has a split in it! They are put of the coil - AFAIK you can't buy them seperately. If you find someone or ask nicely at a Ford Dealer next time they replace one though they might be kind enough to give you the rubber boot off one :)

Check for tracking down the side of the plug (Thin/Hairline crack or black line) which will signify it has been shorting - you should also replace the plug if it is present.

Otherwise yeah run it in the dark is the easiest way if you haven't got the correct test equipment. It should be quite visible looking at the boots though to find which one is split.

wombletomble, Dec 9, 3:19am
Cheers unbeatabull I have replaced the last three with the iridian plugs and with a little sweet talk I got them for $11 +gst I will see if some electrical tape will sort it out short term untill I can get new boots. Some are britil at the bottom cause 300k is long time to be stuck on a plug. lol

unbeatabull, Dec 9, 7:51am
Yup, There is a trick to getting them off when they are stuck like that without breaking/damaging them which I suspect the previous mechanic did - use a pair of long nose pliers, one nose down the centre of the boot. the other, lift up the flat edge and poke down the side. Now grip, not too hard so to damage it, then turn whilst lightly pulling. Will usually come off no dramas within a full turn or two and no damage done. Its when you get mongrel and just yank them out that they get damaged!