CR14L-A2 Motorbike battery charging amps?

daryl14, Dec 8, 5:35am
Hello Men, Found my battery flat. In midst of re-wiring new ignition switch, so don't know if terminals are right, therefore, dubious of jump starting off car just yet. And I read that charging to a flat Batt from alternator is bad.

I Have an RC car charger (imax B6) that says it can charge lead batts. But I don't know what charge rate (amps) would be okay for an overnight charge. it says to use 10% of the batts capacity. nuthin much on google.

Just missed Repco closing to buy a proper charger. Whaddya reckon! Try the RC Car charger! Or charge on one of our cars with jumper leads!

skin1235, Dec 8, 6:01am
very few used positive earth, some early triumph and ajs did though so if you have one of those you need to check further
current batch of honda, yamaha, suzuki etc use neg earth
that siad the RC charger should have a diagram showing which part of the plug is pos ( usually the middle), and yes it can be used, it will however take a weeks of wet sundays to charge that battery
how flat is dead flat, clip it in parallel ( pos to pos, neg to neg - ie just like jumps starting) and run the car for an hour or two ( tuck the battery and the leads somewhere safe under the bonnet and go for a drive - and the leads don't have to be huge battery jumper leads - any wire at all will do as long as you can securely attach it to each terminal)

daryl14, Dec 8, 8:10am
Hey Thanks Skin.

Oh nah, I meant I don't know if I have wired the new ignition switch right, So didn't want to try stuffing round with jumping it. Batt is def Neg Earth.

It was dead flat - 0 Volts, maybe I left the key on, maybe the kids. Maybe I've wired it all wrong, It's a Yam Quad engine in an Offroad go Kart, so I've had a bit of fun trying to mate the two looms together.

I have tried the RC car charger on the Batt. It is capable of pushing out five Amps. Have limited it to 1.4 as that is 1/10th of the 14 Amp hours the Batt is rated to. It will charge for two hours then stop. Half way through there is definately 12 volts back in it again.

It's looking good but no bubbling in cells of batt like I expected. I'll let it sit over night and see how it looks in the morning.