VW golf using oil

Page 1 / 2
quillta1, Dec 12, 1:46am
is this common with vw turbos, have people tell us its quite normal for those to use oil

doug207, Dec 12, 2:08am
If it's running a K03 turbo, it's probably leaking past the seals
Get it comp tested and leak down tested, then go from there

quillta1, Dec 12, 2:12am
dont know what sort of turbo it has, its not smoking or leaking oil anywhere. Its my daughters car she worked hard to get this. Will have to take it and get those tests done, cheers for that.

a18a, Dec 12, 2:13am
yup, most cars use oil to lubricate all the moving parts inside the engine

dunedin_moto, Dec 12, 3:14am
Also pay to make sure that the correct oil is being used:)

a.woodrow, Dec 12, 4:19am
How much oil is it using, and how long since the last service!

splinter67, Dec 12, 4:21am
Earth to Jazz come in Jazz

austingtir, Dec 12, 4:29am
Anybody that says its normal for a car to use oil,what a load of rubbish.
Somethings either rooted or the engine was poorly manufactured or designed.

mugenb20b, Dec 12, 4:34am
In theory, it's not suppose to use oil. It's either burning it or it's leaking. How much oil are you going through!

trdbzr, Dec 12, 4:46am
What oil is being used! - brand, model, viscosity. What oil filter are you using! How often is the oil being changed! Have you left the car parked for a few hours and checking to see any signs of any leaks! What model Golf is it! How long have you owned it for! How many kms has it done!

a.woodrow, Dec 12, 5:02am
All cars use oil, it's inherent in the design. However, most people don't like to see the oil level drop between services

austingtir, Dec 12, 6:52am
^^Obviously, but i'll state it again good oil control is inherent in any engine that is designed, manufactured and treated correctly.

For instance the best oil control engines i have owned are nissan sr16ve, sr20det and vq35de You might see the oil on the dipstick drop by 1mm or nothing in 10,000kms.To me thats good oil control.The majority of modern engines should perform like that.If they dont i wouldnt be happy to own it.

intrade, Dec 12, 8:15am
some cars its normal to use 1 liter per 1000km see owner manual for this.

mantagsi, Dec 12, 8:19am
Crikey, let me know what models, I would be buying oil by the tanker if that were the case with my wagon

jmma, Dec 12, 8:21am
Very old Nissan trick, they used to say that (o:

a18a, Dec 12, 8:25am
I would've thought Mitsubishi.

quillta1, Dec 12, 8:25am
it has an oil and filter changed every 10 thousand ks. Proper oil used and filter made for those cars. It was nearly empty after 5 th ks, hubby says get rid of, But shes put towbar on and really likes it.
there is no oil underneath it , havnt found any leaks. Its 2000 model leather seats all the bells and whistles.
We will have to take it to steve daly at horotui to get him to check it out.

quillta1, Dec 12, 8:26am
Tow bar is just for her bike.

intrade, Dec 12, 8:36am
na loads of euro cars some models of vw audi fiat. not to mention the old oil sardine alfa lol.

a.woodrow, Dec 12, 8:43am
1 litre per 1000km is toyotas allowable max oil consuption across the model range

quillta1, Dec 12, 8:49am
Thanks intrade, others with the same car say that theirs use oil to

austingtir, Dec 12, 9:30am
Pretty much every manufacturer makes duds.Thats just to stop crazy amounts of warranty claims.1 litre per 1000km is far higher that it should be in general.

austingtir, Dec 12, 9:35am
Do you see a pattern here!Its not coincidence that similar cars are having the same problem.I know nissan made some dud vq35HR motors at one stage that were being returned for warranty claim but they obviously tried to wriggle out of it as it wasnt just a few but soon enough everybody realises somethings up.

Nearly empty after 5k is pretty bad.Not as bad as i have heard of but its pretty crap.

cowlover, Dec 12, 10:08am
You say proper oil but what was it!In general Turbos put a lot of stress on the oil and if its not exactly the right type grade etc then it may wel be burning some.

You say there are no leaks so therefore the only place it can be going is out the exhaust pipe.If its only buring a trace but constantly you wont be seeing huge clouds of smoke.

I'd be checking that it is the right oil and then if its still disappearing then it needs further investigation.On the other hand oil is a cheap item compared to the cost of rebuilt engines/turbos etc so maybe just keep toping it up.

If it is the turbo either a new one or a recondition.No point intrying for 2nd hand as likely to be just as bad as you alredy have

Who did the last oil change - did they get the level correct!

rsr72, Dec 12, 11:04am
Many cars use a pressurised crankcase breather to maintain a set pressure in the crankcase.If it is blocked by sludge or otherwise not correctly operating, the crankcase could become pressurised forcing oil vapour past the rings and being burnt in the head.