Leaking radiator?

firemansgirl, Dec 12, 5:36am
So I was driving home tonight and stopped at traffic lights, and saw what I first thought was smoke coming out from under the bonnet. I pulled straight off the road, and before switching the engine off, checked all my warning lights. Nothing was lit up (they all work) and my radiator temperature was normal. The car did smell very hot though. Parked for about 20 minutes and switched ignition on. No warning lights were on, and car temp was normal, as in had cooled down as per normal.

Turned car on. Engine sounded like it was revving (gently) by itself, I drove it the 1km home. I noticed again that there was smoke or steam when I braked. Brakes are all good though and no undue wear was found on last WOF 6 weeks ago. Got home. Turned car off. Have lifted bonnet to cool engine bay and will wait a bit longer yet before removing the radiator cap to check water level.
Obviously if there is no visible water in the radiator then that's the problem but the temperature never went up.Not sure what else to do!

mugenb20b, Dec 12, 5:51am
Take the car to the garage first thing in the morning, or ring AA if you are a member. AA may not fix the car for you on the spot, but will give you an idea as to what's wrong with it.

firemansgirl, Dec 12, 5:56am
** Update** Okay so it was leaking. I went to an unnamed petrol station at lunchtime today to fill up and the forecourt attendant asked if i'd like my oil and water checked. I don't usually even get asked but I thought why not. He said all was good, and it would have been but he didn't put the cap back on properly. It was half screwed on, and obviously the smoke was actually steam. I have filled the radiator with warm (not cold) water and it took nearly 3 litres so I guess it was damned near empty. As the temperature gauge hadn't gone up I was VERY lucky.I've checked under the car and there's no water leaking out. I'm going to start it up and check for water leaks while it's running. Now it's full, should it be okay to drive!

firemansgirl, Dec 12, 6:55am
Sorted!

jason18, Dec 12, 7:26am
Shit what a dope! Glad you got it sorted!

kazbanz, Dec 12, 7:33am
Um what is the make/model of your car!---subaru legacy by any chance!
For the record A modern car with a hot engine I doubt the servo guy checked anything but the overflow bottle
-No Im not havin a go at you I promise.

cowlover, Dec 12, 8:03am
Did yu fill with plain water or the proper coolent! If water you now need to drain, flush and refill with the correct product.

kazbanz, Dec 12, 8:14am
Do wot! Why do they need to do that!
drain some out definitely. add antifreeze/anticorrosive yes definitely.
But flush --why !

jmma, Dec 12, 8:20am
You know kaz, that damn water would have gone all through the engine and radiator by now, got to get that water OUT(o:

chebry, Dec 13, 5:44am
Add coolant and bleed cooling system if required.

firemansgirl, Dec 15, 6:50pm
Thanks to all - I have actually got a 15cm split along the top tank (kazbanz it's a Honda Integra) so the radiator is out and getting repairs. NEVER again will I get a forecourt attendant to check anything!