Problems, thoughts Rav4's

pericles, Dec 13, 2:08am
my only issue with them was, the dickhead driver never stopped at a stop sign and wrote my car off

kommodorekid, Dec 13, 2:11am
gutted. hope it was insured

pericles, Dec 13, 2:13am
I was, he wasn't.
my partner is still off on acc 6 mths later

kommodorekid, Dec 13, 2:16am
Did the vehicle hold up! dont imagine they are terribly safe in accidents

pericles, Dec 13, 2:17am
his was a right off, but we were hit at high speed

skiff1, Dec 13, 3:28am
We had a 2010rav four diesel for 18 months and loved it. Missus drove it. Handled good, cheap as to run and good resale

msigg, Dec 13, 4:46am
Yea good little cars, make sure the cam belt and raidiator coolant has been replace, oil then should be all good.

martin11, Dec 13, 4:53am
The small ones handle like a pregnant snail ,

ambo11, Dec 13, 5:58am
Great wee cars, we had a 3 door one which was actually great off road, and towed a decent sized trailer easily enough. Problem was mum thought it was "cute" so ended up giving it to her. We missed it, so have just bought another, although this time its a 4 door manual version. They do like the gas a bit, but have a great driving position and can be fun to drive, you won't win any races, but who cares! They cruise along at 100 easily enough.
As above make sure the cambelt has been done and coolant etc changed, and keep the engine oil changed, they will go forever. If you get the cambelt changed get the garage to look at the oil pump o-ring too, ours was starting to leak.,

stevexc, Dec 13, 6:05am
Loudest road noise of any car I've ever been in.That's why I sold mine.Tried to fix it with better tyres and some sound deadening material but it wasn't enough.

intrade, Dec 13, 6:09am
i would not buy a rav4 plenty broken ones including one sitting outside my workshop.

franc123, Dec 13, 6:47am
That looks to be a reasonable buy for what it is, you don't often see those on yards for under 6k.If it checks out OK and you have a NEED instead of just a desire for that sort of vehicle then buy it, if not there are more practical and economical options around.

cuda.340, Dec 13, 6:49am
Rav 4 drivers seem to be on another planet, so many of these cars seem to be involved in accidents on the motorway. yesterdays idiot was a champ, he created a 4 car pile up. dickhead!

edangus, Dec 13, 6:57am
I'd rather have a Suzuki

scarey65, Dec 13, 7:12am
im on my second rav 4i had that same model for 4 years .
no issues . traded for a 2004 rav,5 door

loving 5 doors again,could be something to consider

bulletproof cars that seem to hold there value well,

skiff1, Dec 13, 7:45am
Sorry, didn't realise you we're talking about an old one. Horrible vehicle- ugly slow and poor handling.

inkapuka, Dec 13, 5:03pm
I had a 97 facelift 3door ver it had 180km drunk oil almost as much as fuel. Sh1t around corners even in town. check the shockys mine were all gone a common problem in rav's. payed 4k for a lemon pretty much only had it 7months

r15, Dec 13, 5:42pm
ive only had good experiences with them but i reckon they are underpowered (in most cases),the G model came with a 3SGE engine - good for about 30% more power for less fuel consumption. as well as a load of other minor upgrades-

from factory the G ones commonly had the factory alloy wheels with the spokes on an angle as apposed to the straight 5 spoke 16's

also- manual came with center diff lock (see button below a/c controls) , auto didnt-if that's important to you

gadgit3, Dec 13, 6:36pm
Autos have a hydro clutch pack insted of a mechanical diff lock. It's still a diff lock but it only works when needed.

mugenb20b, Dec 13, 6:40pm
Before you go out and spend $3k on a vehicle that's nearly two decades old, have a look at other $3k cars, see if you can get something newer / nicer to drive.

tigra, Dec 13, 6:45pm
Wife has been driving a 2003 2 litre 3 door for 2 years, does about 400-500 kms a week and seems to love it. No issuesother than regular maintenance. Not many for sale so hold price really well. Noisy and a bit thirsty and dont handle like a Formula Ford but we are more than happy with it.

mantagsi, Dec 14, 6:38am
thirsty thirsty thirsty, thats all I can say

kommodorekid, Dec 14, 9:28am
but not to the point of