Pos ford, diagnosis please?

Page 2 / 2
meathead_timaru, Dec 13, 10:39pm
Actually, it can. The inhibitor switch tells the ECU what position the selector is in based on the resistance of the inhibitor switch in different positions. And that, I'm quite sure, is probably exactly what is causing the OP's problem, which is quite common.

meathead_timaru, Dec 13, 10:40pm
Oh, and they're around $140 new from Ford and take all of 5 minutes to fit.

joanie32, Dec 14, 12:51am
they dont have a dip stick and very seldom loose fluid.

bellky, Dec 14, 1:35am
No such thing as 'pos Ford'.

:)

elect70, Dec 14, 1:44am
Can be towedmax50 Kmsat no more than 50 k /hr .I had my VLcommonhoretowed into danevirkefrom60+ k out of town by AAservicewhencam sensorcrapped out- 3rdtime . towed in every timeNever hurt the transin fact it was the only thing on theheap that didnt break .did 300 +Ks at sale& did a lot of towing .

jmma, Dec 14, 1:45am

jmma, Dec 14, 1:45am

theram1, Dec 14, 1:58am
some might say that applies to all 'F. on race days'.

unbeatabull, Dec 14, 6:32am
Really!

Have you had it on the Falcon's before (4/5/6 speed autos!)

chook90, Dec 14, 7:43am
HUH!

I'm with unbeatabull, BA in particular was well known for cross contamination between trans fluid and radiator coolant resulting in the inevitable transmission milkshake.

How on earth will an inhibitor switch negate the fact that the car is in gear to cause a transmission slippage!

meathead_timaru, Dec 14, 12:18pm
It's simple. It's not slippage. The selector switch is sending the signal to the ECU telling it that the selector has been moved to neutral and so the ECU selects neutral. Like I said, it's pretty common.
The 3-speeds like the M51 in the EAs were not electronically controlled. So, no.

oooooowwwwww, Dec 14, 11:14pm
tried it today to put it on the trailer and seems to be going fine! i dont know what is going on! still taking it to the garage though, cant risk driving a car that does that whenever it wants

kingfisher21, Dec 15, 12:22am
Yup, my AUII had very harsh shifts, slipping and no drive at all at times, it was simply the inhibitor switch.

blueaeroplane, Dec 15, 1:04am
Have exactly the same old falcon, exactly the same problem by your description. After a fluid transmission drain and re-fill it was better for a while, but then reverted to a long pause in Fwd or Rvs before moving, and then hesitating between 3rd and 4th. new (I mean reconditioned) Gbox around A$800, most of that labour. So we let the rego go and we still use it quite happily to get the kids to the school but down our own lane. We had a new rego check / pink slip with no probs with the gearbox as was, so don't believe all that "your trans will seize if you drive it 40kms". It might, but it probably won't. they are great cars, definately not a POS. Good luck!

jmma, Dec 15, 1:14am
The trans is going to get a lot hotter doing 40kms rather than just driving down the lane. When it heats up, this will be when problems start.

unbeatabull, Dec 16, 5:29am
Yes and no.

They all still have a mechanical linkage from the gear lever to the trans that manually selects the gears.

What the inhibitor switch does is tell the PCM what gear it is in so it can adjust engine management (Fuel trim, pulse widths etc) accordingly. And of course, stops the car from being starting when in drive.

The actual Transmissions do have electronic signals controlling the electronic soleniods - however, (like on the 6 speeds at least) - I have always been lead to believe that they all take it from the actual mechanical position on the selector inside the trans (which is what all the wiring loom coming out of the trans is for) and not the inhibitor switch. Easier way to explain - Inhibitor switch wiring goes the PCM - Wiring loom goes to TCM.

On the early 4 speeds it could cause problems, but wasn't actually the inhibitor switch that caused the fault, even though replacing it would remedy it, but in fact the gear lever was out of position - there is a small indent on the trans that you put a small rod through (a tiny philips screwdriver does the trick) the lever on the side of the trans and it should line up with the indent in the trans housing - when replacing and re-aligning the inhibitor switch this gets done at the same time.

oooooowwwwww, Dec 16, 10:22pm
well just got the call from the mechanic, the trans is f'd. now i have to try to pull $2000 out my ass to get it fixed.

oooooowwwwww, Dec 17, 4:20am
and the mechanic has rung again to say there are no re con'd gear boxes in stock from either of his suppliers so that will add another week on to our wait time at least. woohoo.

unbeatabull, Dec 17, 4:48am
What a shame your not in CHCH, would be able to overhaul/rebuild or source a S/H for ya at half that

lusty9, Dec 17, 7:14am
needs trans fluid

oooooowwwwww, Dec 23, 11:17pm
mechanic called, its all done, $2030.

he also advised of the other problems, rear diff is making noise (which i knew about) and there is a problem with the ignition which is in the steering column making the starter motor keep running if you don't half turn the key back. if we get it replaced with new parts we are looking at $1500 and second hand around $700. FFS. stupid POS ford.

anyway, just thought you might like an update,
merry xmas all!

kenw1, Dec 23, 11:59pm
There is NO DIPSTICK on these fords.

unbeatabull, Dec 24, 12:14am
Its the spring in the barrel. Thing is, you need a new barrel, keyed to match your current keys, plus re programming etc - cost adds up quickly.

We get them done at Access locksmiths, then we just have to recode the keys, works out cheaper then that for new parts.

oooooowwwwww, Dec 24, 12:22am
thanks for that, i will try calling some locksmiths in the new year and see what prices they can give me