Pos ford, diagnosis please?

Page 1 / 2
oooooowwwwww, Dec 13, 7:21am
i know its not easy from a computer screen, but here is the outline:
ba falcon wagon, dual fuel, auto
when driving the last time it went it kept trying to change up a gear when already in the highest gear, like it was slipping out of gear and revving then going back into gear and driving normally again.
now when you turn it on and put it into drive/reverse it just sits there like you haven't moved the gear stick from park.
with this limited info, would you say it will need a new transmission!
thanks in advance :)

saxman99, Dec 13, 7:30am
Have you checked the trans fluid level!

oooooowwwwww, Dec 13, 7:32am
no, but i will google how to do it and do it now

oooooowwwwww, Dec 13, 7:37am
bugger, cant check it as have no way to get under the car. crap. it hasn't been leaking, but that doesn't mean much I know

40wav, Dec 13, 7:40am
Take it to a trans place and get them to check the level. If you can afford it, get the trans serviced. If you cant, just get them to top it up to correct level.

intrade, Dec 13, 7:41am
is there no dipstick normally under the bonnet you check it with engine running.

oooooowwwwww, Dec 13, 7:44am
we are towing it to local mechanic tomorrow (live in the whop whops so don't have many options) the earliest he can look at it is Monday, I will ask him to check the fluid first (which I'm sure he will do anyway right!). God i hope it is just the trans fluid, every time it has broken down it has cost a small fortune to fix, so would be nice if its just something cheap this time!

oooooowwwwww, Dec 13, 7:46am
not according to the manual, you have to get under it

intrade, Dec 13, 7:49am
i would not get your hopes up your discription sounds like a trans thats toast now. I would get rid of the car or fit a older automatic or a manual gearbox

intrade, Dec 13, 7:51am
when you tow it keep the engine running so the trans does not run dry if its still partial ok.

kingfisher21, Dec 13, 7:53am
DON'T tow it far, you'll do even more damage to the trans.

skin1235, Dec 13, 7:54am
way in the wop wops and you're thinking of towing it to town!

its an auto box, by the time it gets to town the box will be completely stuffed if it wasn't before you left home
either remove the tailshaft, or ( cos you have to get under it to remove the tailshaft anyway) check the fluid level

if you are determined to pay someone to tow it away at least get it hauled onto a truck for the trip

40wav, Dec 13, 7:54am
Make sure you get a price for both then. A top up will be cheap, but probably not recommended to only do that by the garage (and rightly so, but just a top up will be much better than nothing if its all you can afford). A flush and oil change will be recommended (and would ideally be better) but will cost alot more. up to $400-$500 possibly.

oooooowwwwww, Dec 13, 7:54am
that would be right. the trans got replaced with a second hand one last june, we knew there was a risk with second hand but thought it would last longer then 18 months! gee! ah well, lesson learned, guess we will be replacing it with a new one this time if it comes to that. getting rid of the car is not really an option at the moment either, but I can't wait till the day we can get rid of it!

40wav, Dec 13, 7:55am
Unless its stuffed already of course.

oooooowwwwww, Dec 13, 7:56am
crap. thank goodness i asked in here then. the mechanics is 40kms away, so we need to find a car trailer and move it that way then!
gee life was so much easier when i had old cars that didn't break and when they did you could just pull it apart, fix it, and put it back together again.

intrade, Dec 13, 7:58am
you rebuild the trans by automatic trans rebuild place, should be cheap in australia my friend who now has died in adalaid has had a fairlain with a pooped trans think his quote was 1400$ for a rebuild on that. Here in nz they charge depending on gearbox and car 2500 to 4500$ nz

skin1235, Dec 13, 7:59am
don't even consider swapping out the auto for a manual box, you have no idea the hassles you'll have getting gear change ( new column ), clutch pedal and master and slave, fooling the electronics to work properly with a manual is the easy part, getting the electronics to allow you start the engine is a little more difficult - and you already think it is a pos

intrade, Dec 13, 8:03am
yea id load it on a trailer and bring it to a automatic trans rebuild place. dont know if there are ripoffartists in australia but they shure are here.
like for a torqe converter rebuild we got one quote from some local ripoffartists 1600$ we got it all don in auckland for 480$ includingreplacment fluids thats just to rebuild the part and supply fluid, the local guy wanted 1600 just for the rebuild.
i since found a good local rebuilder and he said it would have been 280$ for the rebuild fluids are 7$ per liter and so that be nother 120$ for thatwould have been even cheaper with him but to show you what ripoff is going on from some places.

kingfisher21, Dec 13, 8:10am
Take it to someone that knows what they are on about, it can be as simple as the inhibitor switch on the side of the trans, $145 new from Ford, and yes, when these switches fail they can cause the symptoms you are describing, being an electronic trans they rely on this switch to tell the ECU what position the shift lever is in and these switches are common for failing.

intrade, Dec 13, 8:13am
lets hope your right then.

unbeatabull, Dec 13, 6:03pm
Inhibitor switch won't cause the trans to slip in gear unfortunately.

My money is on the clutches and bands being worn or a trans cooler failure and having some nice milkshake stuff in the trans.

Could be lucky and just be low fluid level. I hope for your sake it is. I doubt it though.

the-lada-dude, Dec 13, 6:44pm
I can't believe it doesn't have a transmission fluid level dipstick !contact an automatic repair garage and ask , also tell them of your problem, you may be able to just drive it carefully to the garage with no further damage. you can rope tow, just leave the engine idle in neutral while under tow.

oooooowwwwww, Dec 13, 10:11pm
thanks for all the input, we are putting it on a trailer to the garage today, hopefully Monday we will know whats wrong with it, would you like me to let ya all know what it is when we find out!

trade4us2, Dec 13, 10:26pm
If you don't know where the dipstick is, I reckon you've never put fluid in there. It probably just wants a litre of transmission fluid.
My old Mazda has a slow leak and I just add fluid so I can go in reverse!