BMW 545i

Page 1 / 2
niknaks, Dec 14, 6:33pm
I have found a really nice 2004 model.
Never had a BMW before so wondered if anyone knew much about these for reliability, common problems, servicing costs and general maintenance. Just didnt want to buy a lemon thats all.
Cheers in advance

timmo1, Dec 14, 7:42pm
Is it NZ new or a Singapore import!

doug207, Dec 14, 8:11pm
Ring Glenn at BMworkshop, he's a top bloke.

niknaks, Dec 14, 8:43pm
import but there was a nz new one which was dearer.

ceedoubleyou, Dec 14, 11:46pm
I would steer clear of an import from Singapore, the humidity there kills the electrics bigtime.

tantric5, Dec 15, 2:08am
I have 2 bmws.one is a singapore import and all electrics.in fact everything works as it should. Is this just another urban myth!

by_hdt, Dec 15, 2:55am
no. you are just one of the lucky ones

00quattro00, Dec 15, 4:30am
Yep, total myth, have had many cars from singapore and have had zero problems, and they are high speced as well

sharchew, Dec 15, 7:39am
There is just as much humidity in Japan as in Singapore

desmodave, Dec 15, 7:57am
What were they !

ken171, Dec 15, 10:18pm
Buy the 545i, An excellent car.

00quattro00, Dec 16, 8:30am
Audi a8, a6, 80, vw golf, passat, polo

michaelqian, Dec 16, 9:26am
The V8 engine could be maintenance intensive. Do you need that sort of power! If you do mostly city driving your fuel economy is going to be pretty horrendous, especially considering Chch is a rather small place and the distance between each set of traffic light is rather short. I have a 2003 BMW 530i here in Melbourne. It has more than adequate power and fuel economy is nothing short of amazing. Highway cruising get around 7.5L/100km, city driving I get between 10-11L/100km on trips around the 10km mark.

desmodave, Dec 17, 6:04am
Cant say ive noticed buyers complaining of biodegradable wiring looms in those flavor cars.
http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t33575.html

trogedon, Dec 17, 6:27am
Maybe you should've read a bit more from that thread "driftitDec 13 2010, 09:38 PM
Brothers E38 had every electrical problem you can get. Was from Singapore. Have heard many many other horror stories too. Mate from a large Auto Electrical shop in the CBD trys to avoid them as they can turn into costly nightmares. Have also heard stories that cars can be left running in parking buildings to keep the aircon on for many hours daily."

desmodave, Dec 17, 7:22am
So what flavor car are they talking about ! . An Audi or VW.

trogedon, Dec 17, 7:38am
OP and E38 - both Beemers. That's not the point though. Its about the way cars electrical bits cope or not with the humidity of certain environs.

nuberanda, Dec 18, 2:31am
My mate used to have a S80 Volvo ex Singapore. Any plastic clip you touched on it broke (plastic went brittle). Not a BMW,but thought I mention it

ceedoubleyou, Dec 19, 1:34am
mate bought a 2000 MB 240, all the plastics on the dash turned to mush, like knobs etc, electrics kept malfunctioning, like the ESP would malfunction in the middle of a U turn and stall, everytime I saw him, maybe once a month for the first 3-4 years of ownership, it would be in the workshop, getting something fixed, maybe not a BMW, but I would be very scared. BTW have you been to either Singapore or Japan, it don't snow in Singapore for starters.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 19, 2:44am
Anyone actually seen this!

I have heard these stories about some places in Japan as well as Singapore. Would be keen to know if there is any truth in it.

Anicdotally, I have seen my share of ultra low km imports with timing belts that were ready to snap but the "km's certified" sticker on the windscreen. Either the sticker/checking is dodgy (which I do suspect is the case a lot of the time) or there may be some truth in it.

carclan, Dec 19, 3:19pm
The belt should be changed on engine hours maybe rather than kilometers.

kiwitracy, Dec 20, 12:48am
1997 model is very nice to drive!But unfortunately is no longer needed in our fleet.

flack88, Dec 20, 1:08am
On the subject of plastics collasping,the NZ sun is harder than anywhere in the world!

phillip.weston, Dec 20, 2:09am
I've had two Volvos (currently still own one of them) from Singapore and I haven't had electrical issues either. Probably one thing I would be dubious of is the amount of kms travelled. I drove a Singapore import 2004 525i which had only done 40,000kms yet the radiator coolant reservoir made of some kind of fibrous plastic was already leaking from the bottom.

bmwnz, Dec 20, 6:28pm
I've had 4 Bimmers. The only one that developed electrical problems was the Singapore import.