Looking at buying a Holden Captiva .

Page 1 / 2
mortluby, Feb 25, 11:31am
Brother's work runs Captivas and a few Highlanders. All the Captivas have been in for warranty repair (some twice including one with less than 20k on the clock) and all the Highlanders have just been service to service.
The accountants are rethinking their views on the Captivas (it costs to have the reps off the road sorting out vehicles).

gilco2, Feb 25, 6:06pm
nephew bought a new captiva 2 years ago. spent more time in workshop than on the road. So he sold it and got a Santa Fe and so far hasnt looked back

dalsouthern, Feb 25, 6:11pm
I was talking to a holden sales manager about our next work car, currently have Santa Fe looked at Captivas because the low spec santa was 4k dearer than the high spec captiva.He said not to even look at them, fuel problems, oil leaks and good for there workshop is about it.

petal_91, Feb 25, 7:35pm
Where are the Captiva 5's that are sold in NZ made! From Wikipedia it is manufactured in Russia, Mexico, and South Korea. My guess for the NZ market would be South Korea.

hpaul, Feb 25, 9:10pm
This.

If it's big enough for you (take a look, they're a bit tardis like) and if you can afford the 103 diesel instead of the (still good) 1.2 then all the better.

Brilliant things and so much more kudos than a Captivery type thing.

westwyn, Feb 25, 9:30pm
The Captiva is the top-selling SUV in New Zealand, but that doesn't mean they are any good. it's all about price, and the Captiva has been sold on price alone. Good friend of mine has had a Captiva 7 from new the past 18 months, and it's been a warranty nightmare- a whole new transmission at 10,000km, numerous other relatively minor but cumulative issues that have seen a generally unhappy ownership experience. He's just bought a new Captiva 5, knowing full well the issues he may expect, but since he's in the trade. Dealer told him to keep it for the warrranty period, and then get out of it.

The CX5 is a remarkably competent and well-thought out concept that, in my opinion, leaves the Captiva in it's dust. (Also sold as the Ford Kuga). Recent Mazda product has been excellent, not just the design, but the reliability and build quality too.

I had a Yeti a couple of years ago from a company liquidation, until the CX-5 came along I'd have to say it was pretty clever, but the CX-5 is by far the better product now, and more importantly, the cost of the parts that the Yeti needed, from the Skoda agents, put me off the brand completely- I'm sure there ARE cheaper avenues to go down ex-overseas, but for most everyday owners, that simply isn't an acceptable option.

The SUV market in NZ is the fastest-growing segment and there is a LOT of choice out there, more so you shouldn't be swayed by the purchase price alone, and from the drop in sales numbers recently it looks like first-generation Captiva owners are trading out into other models.

Good luck!

chovik, Feb 27, 5:45am
Where's splinter67 now.quick to pipe up initially but not so now when people with real experiences back up the Captiva's moniker of "Craptiva"

I wonder what the OP ended up buying!

loulou119, Feb 27, 6:44am
We have a V6 3.2 petrol Captiva and id rate it as being OK. Had it in at Christmas time (a couple of months after we got it) for the timing chain issue. ECU update was tried first which for the record just corrects the tolerances to what it should have been from the factory. That didn't fix it so Holden paid our local dealer the $2500 to have it replaced, even though it was well out of warranty. Can't ask for more than that.

To drive it has plenty of power and even tows our heavy boat ok. Steering lock is terrible and there isn't a lot of room in it (but ours is a 5).

stevo2, Feb 27, 5:11pm
The OP ended up buying a new Captiva 5, 4 cyl petrol auto in Charcoal for the low/mid $30's

gman35, Feb 27, 7:56pm
Wow , What an exciting purchase , were there no Mazda cx7's available !

nadz08, Feb 27, 10:26pm
Hondas CRV is the one of the best I think. I have owned a Captiva and a Outlander and also driven the Mazda and I dont think any of them compare to the Honda.

bashfulbro, Feb 28, 12:38am
The biggest crap heap Holden have made.

phillip.weston, Feb 28, 6:04am
I can't help but feel they would have been better off in a used CX-5 or something else. When spending so much money, and especially when spending a few thousand less than the market leader, why bother skimping and getting such an inferior car!

ansypansy1, Feb 28, 7:25am
We bought a second hand captiva 5 about a year ago. Don't do many k's but it's the best car we've ever owned.
better add that ours is a 6cyl, maybe that makes a difference, because we've heard that the 4cyl has no grunt, but ours will throw us back into the seat if we plant our foot.
lots of gimmicky things, the one we like most is that the model we bought has an opening (flip-up) window in the tailgate which means we can give the two dogs a good amount of fresh air when parked

stevo2, Feb 28, 5:11pm
When reading the 1st post, I guess its because she does very few kms and it was $8k cheaper!

cassina1, Feb 29, 6:03am
I found the one I test drove felt too light in the steering on the open road. The same with the VW Tigan. I will look forward to test driving the new RAV 4 when they come out this year.

splinter67, Mar 4, 9:21am
Just seen your post reading isnt your strong point is it at the time of your post numpty there had been only one actual owner and they loved it all the rest is second hand info

brapbrappy, Mar 29, 8:45am
sales of Captivas in Aust were well below forecast and Holden had to revise their whole sales strategy to move them.

klrider, Mar 29, 9:18pm
The market has spoken, it says, the yeti is crap.

marmar1, Mar 29, 9:48pm
Why would anybody buy a captiva, ugliest suv out there.

jillsdolls, Dec 15, 5:06am
Been test driving new SUV'S today, really want to buy this Mazda CX4 but a bit dearer than the Captiva. Captiva is on special for 32K. Mazda around 40k. I don't do a lot of ks but need a bigger boot. Currently have a Mazda3 2006 which we have had from brandnew, which we love and can't fault. Feedback comments appreciated.

chovik, Dec 15, 5:09am
Go the Mazda.in Australia they call the Holden the "Craptiva"

splinter67, Dec 15, 6:01am
And in NZ we call the mazda a mazdabater doesnt make 1 ioata of difference

lazzo, Dec 15, 6:06am
I prefer the Mazda CX5, but in this class there is HEAPS to choose from, you really should look around.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 15, 6:15am
Go and drive the Skoda Yeti, its a million times better vehicle and the one to beat in that sort of vehicle. It offers the best of everything economy/reliability/low service requirements/practicality/comf-
ort/features, nothing else can touch it. (and I am not the only one to think so, many reviewers worldwide have rated it as not only the best little SUV but often the best car on the market fullstop.)