Car tyres on a Rav4?

ambo11, Dec 15, 8:43am
Got a 4 door Rav4 which is in need of 4 tyres shortly, used mostly on road with the occasional drive on the beach or through paddocks, no 4 wheel driving as such. Tyres are 215/70/r16, wondering if a similar size car tyre would be okay if I replace all 4! Don't mind if speedo is out a bit, mainly wondering if car tyres have strong enough sidewalls etc.cheers

myleif, Dec 15, 9:57am
What is the load and speed rating on them!You need to be the same or above on those specs as well

r15, Dec 15, 10:09am
yeah, just find pretty much anything with a similar overall diameter and width - usually there is a bit of room to go up a couple of sizes width wise on most vehicles.

you'd be hard pressed to find a tyre physically large enough for the job that wasn't up to the minimal weight & speed of a rav4.

kazbanz, Dec 15, 8:04pm
Ambo--why not go for the road option in RAV tyres! youll find the side effect is the rav sounds quieter on the road

ambo11, Dec 15, 8:20pm
Hi Kaz, yep that's what I'm after really, the AT tyres are really noisy. I'll try and find normal car tyres, as r15 says above most tyres of that size would have a decent load rating anyway. Hopefully the red best will be here tomorrow :-)

mrfxit, Dec 15, 9:01pm
LOL, "(minimal weight & speed of a rav4)"Good grief ppl it's not like a Rav weighs anything like near to a commodore or Falcon, never mind anything approaching a Surf.
The wifes Attessa would weigh almost the same & be faster, maybe I had better get high speed truck tyres for it

Std road spec RV/SUV tyres are easily available for road usage only

mrfxit, Dec 15, 9:14pm
Simple Google search "suv 16" road tyres"
Have a look through their lists

http://tyreshoponline.co.nz/shop/catalogue/category-3.html http://www.tyreline.co.nz/products/4x4/

kazbanz, Dec 15, 9:19pm
Mon sorry I said it wrong.-No need to go looking for alternative tyres when you can buy on road use tyres actually for the rav 4.
The less chunky they are the quieter the ride.
Have you heard from transport co re red beastie!

ambo11, Dec 15, 9:24pm
Hi Kaz, no haven't heard from them, maybe tomorrow or Tuesday I hope.

pge, Dec 15, 11:09pm
OP, in August I fitted wifey's Rav4 with "HAIDA" "FIRM819H/T" in 235/70/16.

OK, they are Chinese, but, my tyreman recommended them as a good compromise of price, quality, noise and reliability.

I went to the largest I could fit, given speedo accuracy constraints.

5K later, they are still really quiet, wearing well, and have good grip in the wet, such as we have had.

Mrs PGE is on the road 7 days/wk, as a home-health caregiver and HAS to be reliable.

Cost was $679??

bwg11, Dec 17, 2:52am
I've used several sets of Dunlop Grandtreks on SUV's. Quiet, acceptable handling and good tyre life. The Grandtrek AT20 comes in 215/70/16. I have not used the AT20 myself, but if they are as good as other Grandtreks they will be great, if a bit expensive.