Driving on a bad cv

nuberanda, Dec 16, 3:30am
Audi A3 2001. I have been driving around the North Island quite a lot and am now heading home (to christchurch). Atm I am in Palmerston North and plan to be in wellington tonight, and got a ferry to Picton around lunch tomorow. The car had been sometimes shuddering and I just figured out that it is the inner CV. It shudders a bit over 80km/h, and quite a lot at 100-110km/h (under acceleration). My question is can anybody hazard a guess if the cv is about to break apart or if I have a chance of getting a few more hundred kilometers out of it! I got my trusty mechanic at home that could fix it no problem, and the ferry is already paid for and don't rally want to miss it. Any input appreciated

morrisman1, Dec 16, 3:32am
are you sure it is that and that you havn't lost a wheel weight!

intrade, Dec 16, 3:33am
id get it replaced if your sure its the cvi would only drive 80 otherwise . is it clicking when you turnand in straight line also!

mrfxit, Dec 16, 4:11am
IF . there was NO vibration or shuddering of any sort at 80kph AND you DO have the wheels/suspension checked for any other possible faults BEFORE going any further (& of course nothing else shows up or is fixed) then yea , go for it.

lazzo, Dec 16, 4:18am
If its the CV the worst that can happen is that it will break and you won't be able to go much further, and its rare for a CV to go as far as letting go.

intrade, Dec 16, 4:19am
i am thinking it be a wheel balance issue that is why i want to know about clicking as a worn cv joint will click when turning sharp to either side otherwise it wont be a cv issue

nuberanda, Dec 16, 4:31am
Hey guys thanks for the input. Definitely the cv. The boot is split open, little grease and a bit of radial movement in the shaft (as opposed to lengthways). No clicking (i think this is more a outer cv thing) but more noticeable when turning right. The speeds at which it is noticeable has now come down toabout 30-40 on flat road and there are a few hills ahead ok the journey. I think I'll have it fixed in palmy and try to rebook the ferry, as I don't really feel like being stranded in the middle of nowhere. Once again thanks for your input

andrewph, Dec 16, 9:19am
Ive worked on these. Its common, the cup wears notches from the 3 heads of the inner cv. There should be a white sticker with a part number on the axle, knowing this will make identifing it easier as there different ones. Thats if you buy a second hand one. its rare for them to break.

snoopy221, Dec 16, 3:19pm
Yeah reality is it's a D. O. J.
Double Offset Joint.
3 roller style as opposed to a many ball-(More than 3) Constant Velocity joint.
Being an Audrey! Audi.I'd be having a DAMN GOOD LOOKSIE AT THE ENGINE/GEARBOX MOUNTS-K.
Given your notation of increased vibration (Pronouncing itself at lower speeds)- With really no apparent joint wear- BUT a joint designed to run at set gearbox mountings.

nuberanda, Dec 17, 6:28pm
Update- took it to a transmission/diff place in Palmerston North (the friend we were staying with knew the owner so got looked at first thing on Monday morning).They confirmed that it was the inner joint, but could not find parts locally to fix it the same day, but they thought that if they pumped it full of grease I would get back to Chch on it no problem. I was about to do the same thing the night before, but decided that the joint must be too far gone because there was so much vibration. It was amazing what a good dollop of grease can do! I could barely feel anything when I got the car back. Made it to Wellington before I could start feeling any vibrations again. I had bought a tube of grease at super cheap, and while waiting to get on the ferry, I got under the car and smeared in as much grease as I could into the joint (about a palm full). Got to Chch on that no problems. I'll get in touch with my mechanic today and go from there. Cheers for all the help guys!