Ford transit EGR valve fault,

crossedup, Dec 18, 12:17am
Gidday, my 04 2.4td transit has been scanned and fault is EGR valve. This cuts out the turbo till engine warms a little, then flick key off then back on while driving. This resets the fault, Glow light stops flashing and boost is back.
But it is a little annoying to do all the time.Is this an easy fix! swapout! or just remove\ bypass.

cheers, :0)

bantam3, Dec 18, 1:51am
My 2003 goes onto drive home mode, diesel light flashes. Mech mate said its the fly by wire throttle pedal. But if you turn key off then back on while still driving it resets. turbo not effected. Ford wanted 1500 for new pedal.
Had major problem with the dual mass flywheel falling apart. Brought new single mass flywheel on e bay uk for 30% of NZ price.

intrade, Dec 18, 3:23am
doo it soonest as the egr valve puts fuems back in the intake and will screw airflow meter and whole engine over if its faulty sooner or later by blocking the whole intake with taar like gunge. I would look for a egr delete kit and you need to change the computers map so it no longer has egr on diagnostic. my tdi vw was deleted with hp upgrade from 130bhp to 156bhp i unplugged the egr and will fit the delete kit soon.

pickles26, Dec 18, 3:27am
remove clean carbon and refit they become sticky common fault

unbeatabull, Dec 18, 6:28am
The HP upgrade would of come from the computer remap, not the deletion of EGR. EGR only works on DECEL & sometimes CRUISE depending on map, so does not affect performance of your vehicle. Only time it affects it is as happens it gets faulty and it either gets jammed, sticky ( due to carbon buildup etc) or stops working altogether.

00quattro00, Dec 18, 6:30am
Will need a clean, and so will the intake manifold

intrade, Dec 18, 6:30am
of course the egr delet came from new tuning map.

unbeatabull, Dec 18, 6:42am
You missed what I said.

I said the power increase came from the map. What I was getting across was the point that deleting the EGR will NOT increase power as the way you wrote it implied it would and would be misleading OP.

intrade, Dec 18, 6:45am
well it will if the intake is blocked like this but only if he does what poster 6 said otherwise you correct.
http://www.sinspeed.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Blocked-EGR-Valve-Problems.jpg

intrade, Dec 18, 6:49am

unbeatabull, Dec 18, 7:55am
There is a difference between restoring lost horsepower and gaining extra horsepower.

EGR problems are common transits btw. We do replace A LOT of EGR systems, gaskets, clean out etc.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 19, 2:26am
This EGR nonsense drives me up the wall, especially when you can't block it off without flashing the ECU because the check engine light comes on.

I really wish someone would study the negative environmental affects of running EGR on vehicles over their lives vs the benefits.

Shorter engine life, higher fuel consumption and other inefficiencies must add up to something. The financial cost should be considered as well.

Sadly though, I think its just how the system works, the Politicians and Greenies keep raising the bar with no thought as to the how it will work in practice. Then the poor old manufacturer has to ruin their product with EGR and DPF's to make it all work on paper.

Sure, other countries have emissions tests to forcepeople to maintain their systems but that's just yet another cost to the consumer.

unbeatabull, Dec 19, 7:30am
Its only a problem on Diesel vehicles generally . should just get rid of Diesels altogether IMO!

00quattro00, Dec 19, 7:57am
Na, should get rid of petrol engines

unbeatabull, Dec 19, 8:04am
There has been so much R&D put into Diesel engines by many manufacturer's to bring them up to line with Petrol engines. Now some manufacturer's are starting to put that R&D into petrol engines and are getting really good results, and I'd say the gap between petrol and diesel is going to open up wide again soon.