1993 Toyota Carina ST190 proportion valve location

porteous1, Dec 18, 4:54am
Every time I take this car for a WOF it get rejected by rear brake imbalance.I can usually get it through with brake adjustment - but not this time.Mechanic at VTNZ said it will be the proportioning valve which he thought was on the fire wall.I have had a look and the pipes do go into a block on the fire wall but it doesn't look like a valve to me more like a pipe connector.Can any one out there give me the exact location of the valve!Also, any other repair ideas to sort this ongoing problem appreciated.

twink19, Dec 18, 5:11am
I think thats it

zooki007, Dec 18, 5:12am

porteous1, Dec 18, 5:49am
Sorry it looks nothing like this-could it be in the master cylinder!Someone suggested it could be.I cannot see it anywhere of the car.

theram1, Dec 18, 6:00am

porteous1, Dec 18, 6:31am
Thankd for links to two lots of pics.It could be the unit on the firewall of my Carina after all - I don't know how I'm going to get it out - no room there!

boojum, Dec 18, 7:57am

tmenz, Dec 18, 8:35am
Yes, it will be the unit on the firewall.
Yes, it will be faulty.
Yes, it probably is hard to get to.
Yes, a new replacement will be expensive.
'Just Brakes' in Mt/Smart/Penrose will recondition it for you.
We've had to have the one on a Corolla station wagon reconditioned because of imbalance. A new one was priced at $500. Just Brakes did it for $80 - in less than a day.
It was a sod to get it out but it was just manageable.
Make sure you get yourself a proper flare nut spanner to do the job - ordinary spanners will not suffice.
The Corolla one has 5 ports and it takes ages undoing the flare nuts one flat at a time, but it is doable - I think we had to remove some of the engine 'superstructure' to improve access.

The Corolla one looks just like the one in boojum's link

porteous1, Dec 18, 8:59pm
Cheers!now down to work!

porteous1, Dec 18, 9:00pm
Many thanks-I'll get started!

audi_s_ate, Dec 19, 5:40am
Had this go in our corona, its by the firewall and yes its tight to get at. Mechanic found a 2nd hand one for $50 hopefully it lasts - been 60k since it was replaced so has been ok.