Speeding tickets and insurance

ruaphu, Dec 28, 4:49am
If I get a speeding ticket (say for 124kmh cos I was overtaking) via an officer (not a traffic camera) do you have to inform your insurance company! is it madatory!. If not mandatory, is it good practice to inform them anyway to avoid hiccups later on with any future claims! Cheers

ralphdog1, Dec 28, 4:53am
To be safe from having a claim denied yes tell them.

metallicafan21, Dec 28, 5:22am
I would do it, better telling them yourself instead them finding out and then they could not insure you for future times, I make sure I tell my insurance company just incase if anything goes wrong. (i'm with NAC)

sirdoug, Dec 28, 5:24am
Tell them. It shouldn.teffect yourpresent policy or the cost of it,They just like to know.

johnf_456, Dec 28, 7:40am
Be honest, don't give them reasons to wiggle our of a claim. They are experts at it

thejazzpianoma, Dec 28, 7:48am
One of the hidden costs of policing speed on our roads to ridiculous levels.

The other is people passing at dangerously slow speeds.

I am getting sick and tired of pulling left with a trailer on to let me past and having people putting my life at risk as the dawdle past with their eyes on the speedometer.

ruaphu, Dec 28, 7:54am
Hey JP, yep know what ya mean. Slow overrtaking is very dangerous to say the least. .

thejazzpianoma, Dec 28, 8:12am
I have really noticed its become an epidemic since the cop's stopped playing fair and reasonable with speed enforcement.

Once upon a time I could pull our little camper hard left and indicate a car through even in the twisty hills of the Coromandel. No way I would try that now, its hard enough to get one car past safely on a straight.

cassina1, Dec 28, 8:42am
I am not frightened to get up to 140 km an hr if overtaking and figure a speeding ticket is a lot cheaper than the result of not getting up to a fast enough speed. Decelerating reasonably quickly post overtaking would minimise the likelyhood of a ticket I would hope.

bashfulbro, Dec 28, 9:28am
Yes tell them, so they can return your premiums you have paid, if they no longer cover you

the-lada-dude, Dec 28, 7:50pm
what does the road code say about over taking !

sophieta, Dec 28, 7:53pm
Just coming out of Rotorua yesterday headed towards taupo i was in a line of cars about 8 long nobody dared even use the three or four long passing lanes as every few km's a cop car comes past just spamming the passing lanes.Its totally ridiculous.

splinter67, Dec 28, 7:57pm
Why would no one pass or were you already doing 100kph

sophieta, Dec 28, 8:00pm
They would of been doing 90 before the passing lane typical holiday drivers speed up to 100 on the passing lanes.Then the cops come past and everyone else wont pass.If i was in my skyline with a radar i would of blown the doors off the lot of them but the navara doesnt have that sort of acceleration.I saw 4 cop cars (going the opposite way) within a 10km stretch where all those passing lanes are.

splinter67, Dec 28, 8:07pm
This is one of the major problems on our roads clowns that speed up on passing lanes. The other problem is the people that cant pass without a passing lane.

thegreycat, Dec 28, 8:51pm
Tell them, I did this a couple of weeks ago, the lady at AMI didn't ask the details, just said thanks for being honest and that a 'note' would be put on file.Like others have said, if you don't they can decline any future claims

rpvr, Dec 29, 3:19am
So what dreadful thing happened as a consequence of not being able to pass! Presumably you all got to your destination ok, isn't that the main thing!

elect70, Dec 29, 3:33am
Only if its in the policy, insurer i deal with doesnt&has nevereven asked .

johnf_456, Dec 29, 3:41am
he couldn't get two km ahead to get stuck behind another person or get to the red light faster than everyone

tuttyclan, Dec 29, 5:31am
What I find annoying is when the speed limit is 100km/h and having to follow some idiot whos speed fluctuates between 60km/h and 90 km/h and they hit the brakes for any bumps,corners or bridges (and I am not talking about speed restricted corners),but when a passing lane comes up they suddenly find the road wider and speed up to 100 km/h plus and to get past them you have to break the speed limit to get past.In my opinion the police need to crack down on slow drivers,specially those who cant maintain a minimum of 80-90 km/h in a 100 km/h area.60km/h is ridiculus.Also passing lanes should have a 120 km/h limit for those in the right lane of the passing lane and only if passing a car in the left lane.