NISSAN CEFIRO or TOYOTA CAVALIER ?

Page 2 / 2
200sx, Dec 31, 3:45am
I wouldn't touch a Cavalier now matter how cheap, or how low the mileage. The only people that buy them are people with zero clue on vehicles. A small amount of homework would save them a lot of grief. They are also popular with brothers and immigrants who are trading up from a diesel Previa with no WOF and 8000km of overdue RUCs. Cefiro over a Cavalier in any scenario.

franc123, Dec 31, 4:23am
Cefiro, assuming you are prepared to live with electrical problems if the thing has done 200 odd thousand plus, expect coils (theres six of the bloody things and aren't cheap) alternators, starters, air flow meters, coolant sensors, window regs, lock motors etc all to start pooing themselves one after the other. They aren't necessarily fun to live with when old despite some peoples opinions on Nissan reliability. Yes I would probably prefer an old Telstar or 626 too as mentioned above assuming its a well looked after one and not rusting away, far less to go wrong and far easier to repair.

arrithedog, Dec 31, 4:28am
Done 130,000 only.

lazzo, Dec 31, 4:59am
You would have rocks in your head if you bought a Toyota Cavalier. That is one car I would NEVER EVER own, Surely you have better prospects than that.

whqqsh, Dec 31, 5:16am
good grief, what a choice, thankfully I'll never be in such a crap situation

meathead_timaru, Dec 31, 5:53am
You should have said "There, but for the grace of common sense, go I".

theram1, Dec 31, 6:06am
"There, but for the grace of the dog and lemon guide, go I."

arrithedog, Dec 31, 6:17am
Well what can I say!
given that it's a spare car to be used 4 or 5 times a year, and I've had Cefiro in the past with NO issues, then I guess I'll buy the Cef.
Alternatively, I might buy my old V3000 back, since it gave me 2 years and current owner 3 years of trouble-free motoring - despite what the dog and lemon winker tells us.

lazzo, Dec 31, 6:23am
Old V3000 would be ok too, cheap as chips.

jmma, Dec 31, 6:27am
Hiring may work out cheaper, take into account Rego, Wof and repairs, plus the cost of the vehicle.
Hire when you get there, something like $50 a day, worth concidering IMO

arrithedog, Dec 31, 6:52am
Yes, I thought about that. 50 a day for 2 weeks 4 times a year = 2800 per year, which is more than the price of the car, and in 3 years time, I will have a car with low K's to sell and will have saved about 8 grand on hiring. But yes, that in another alternative. Depends on what I have to pay for the car. But looking like 2-3 grand will secure one of them, less for the V3000. And it will be available for my son to use should he need to.

austingtir, Dec 31, 8:46am
Christ now your talking about v3000's this thread has gone to the utter depths.

arrithedog, Dec 31, 9:04am
haha Knew that would get things started.
But on a serious note, the V3000, apart from it obviously being designed by someone who had shares in the petrol company, was a very smooth, comfortable and totally reliable car. Had only one problem in all the time I owned it and that turned out to be a ten dollar HT lead.

ema1, Dec 31, 10:22am
Cavalier really is a waste of air space as well as wasting parking space. Really it's just a waste of whatever one cares to think of.

theram1, Dec 31, 10:29am
If the D & L Guide does not recommend the V3000 and you had a good run buy a Cavalier then.