Rust + scale remover

kenw1, Dec 31, 9:30pm
I need to remove surface rust and some rust scale from a big slasher/mower body.Currently grindind and wire brushing it away.What is that needle gun tool, cannot remember its proper name!or better just to strip it right down and take it to be sand blasted!thanks

thejazzpianoma, Dec 31, 9:36pm
I would leave the rust in place and use POR-15. POR-15 won't stick if you prep anything but the worst flaky rust

Remember to top coat as its not UV stable. The great thing about POR-15 is its hammer tough so stones won't tend to penetrate it even on a mower application (I know because I have used it on a ride on mower deck).

franc123, Dec 31, 9:58pm
use a 3m stripper disc to get the worst of it off, you may chew through several of them but its quick and effective and cleans the steel very smoothly. They can be bought to fit angle grinders or drills. You won't bother wire brushing again after using one of those.

kenw1, Dec 31, 9:58pm
This is real flaky rust, have been hitting it with a hammer and it just flakes off, so think I am better getting rid of that!

Yep was going to use POR15 and then topcoat.

kenw1, Dec 31, 9:59pm
Am using a wire brush disc in the AG but its not shifting the scale rust.But a whack with a hammer does :-)have some of them in the shed, so willget them out as well.Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to work I go.

kenw1, Jan 1, 6:11am
What is best to overcoat POR15 with!in a nice bright Red.

gammelvind, Jan 1, 6:20am
POR15 has a tie coat primer that you are supposed to put ontop of the anti rust primer, and then the top coat.
Just to clarify POR15 is a brand not a paint, but has become the commonly accepted name for their anti rust primer. If you go to a paint shop who stocks it they will know what you mean but when you want anything else in the POR15 range this is when the confusion starts. Think of going into lets say a Ford dealership and say "I want a Ford" and they give you a Transit, "but I want a Falcon".

elect70, Jan 2, 3:40am
Needle descaleruses lot of compair to run .dont use on panel steel

trademerob, Jan 2, 3:43am
Use a nigger and a hammer then the above coatings

thejazzpianoma, Jan 2, 5:11am
All you really need to do is get the flaky stuff off, cold chisel or whatever. Once the POR15 can make full contact with the rust (i.e not have pockets under flakes it can't get to but trap oxygen) then you are done.
Going beyond that will just make the POR15 not stick, its so very easy to over prepare and do yourself a disservice.
Its a bit hard without seeing it though.