Car stoppers for the garage?!

Page 1 / 3
stuffed, Jan 1, 7:20pm
I have a big technical question for the forum!
My wife and I now have identical cars and would like to find simple, small effective, rubber car stoppers for our garage.
Not the big brute of things that commercial car parks have but just small rubber units about 1/2 meter long.
If there Is there anything out there then damned if can find it!
Any suggestions!

gammelvind, Jan 1, 7:24pm
We sorted a really simple one for my aged mother. We hung a tennis ball from the ceiling. She drives in to the shed, when the tennis ball touches her windscreen she stops car perfectly positioned so she can walk past the front and close the garage door.

mrfxit, Jan 1, 7:26pm
Yep perfect solution
Probably better at bonnet level for better focus

gammelvind, Jan 1, 7:29pm
We hung it to contact right at her eye level on the screen, if there was no screen it would hit her between the eyes lol. Since then she hasn't crushed her stuff at the end of the shed.

stuffed, Jan 1, 7:38pm
Do not want to use the ball method!

skull, Jan 1, 7:43pm
Use a hollow stone block instead then, easier to get the string through.

mrfxit, Jan 1, 7:43pm
In that case, I hope you never trip over that wheel stop bar you stuck on the floor.

You could bolt a piece of angle iron bar (upside down) to the floor.
BUT
Then what happens later if you change to a different car with a longer nose

mrfxit, Jan 1, 7:45pm
THAT could also give her a pretty good fright as it hits the screen.if slightly distracted for some reason.
Same for if distracted for a moment & it goes over the roof just out of view . . BOOF

dezzie, Jan 1, 7:57pm
We always just used a bit of 4x2, you could dynabolt it to the floor if you wanted to get really fancy I guess, heck you could even paint it with concrete coloured paint, its definitely enough to feel when you touch it tho, unless you are in the habit of entering the garage at 30k.
Theres nothing more annoying than going to get something out of the freezer and some dolt (usually male) has parked so close you can't get to the damn thing.

pup2, Jan 1, 8:02pm
I hate it when I am brushing my teeth, minding my own bisisness, when BOOF, out of no where, I am distracted, then BOOF, I poke myself in the eye with my tooth brush

smac, Jan 1, 8:03pm
I just stuck a small piece of wood to the concrete with no-more-nails. Can feel it plenty well enough when the tyre touches it - if not, you're going too fast!

lookoutas, Jan 1, 8:12pm
Mirror

trader_84, Jan 1, 8:19pm
My lux spends most of its time with a bright fluro geen tennis ball lying against its windscreen. I've postioned it so the towbar just clears the roller door and thus maximizes room in front of it. Perfect and repeatable parking everytime.

biddy6, Jan 1, 8:29pm
Anythingthat is attached to the garage floor is a pain when the car isn't there, you just end up stubbing your toes or tripping over it. The tennis ball works well.

the_chooky, Jan 1, 8:39pm
I back into the garage and have a paint mark on the wall that lines up with the left mirror.
Works for me.

meathead_timaru, Jan 1, 8:43pm
Oh, I see. For some reason, you want something more difficult to implement. Something that is easily tripped over when the cars aren't there and can interfere with wheeling things about in there. Good for you for not going with the easiest, most straight forward and effective method.

msigg, Jan 1, 8:43pm
Just bolt a piece of decking timber to the floor.

meathead_timaru, Jan 1, 8:45pm
Perhaps people like that shouldn't actually be driving at all.

a.woodrow, Jan 1, 9:03pm
Uhm cars only go in the garage when you're working on them. Mine live in the drive, where do you do all your projects and man cave stuff!

bitsy_boffin, Jan 1, 11:24pm
Colour me dumb, but I just use a rock.

Get car in to correct position.Put rock in front of wheel.There after, stop when I feel the rock.If I need to adjust, move rock.

joanie32, Jan 1, 11:38pm
Im thinking of some kind of sensor or swicth that activates a light whencar is in right spot. Have just moved intonew house with this problem and am determind to created a something far more tech than the old tennis ball system (F knows why!)

bitsy_boffin, Jan 1, 11:47pm
Laser pointer triggering a light sensitive diode (LED working in reverse could do the job, depending on the wavelength), this should be of course read by a microcontroller which uses a wifi module to signal a server running on your pc, which sends a message though a South African SMTP to SMS gateway which delivers a txt to your phone saying "STOP! (5 minutes ago)".

matarautrader, Jan 1, 11:49pm
Put an old mirror up. When the car hits it and it smashes you know you have the ideal spot!

doomy999, Jan 1, 11:52pm
just nail a board to your concrete floor.once the wheels hit it etc.
problem solved!

v8_mopar, Jan 1, 11:56pm
If ya cant park the car in the garage without help from a block or the likes how the hell can you park in a car park!