This is why you need winter tyres

intrade, Jan 2, 6:32am

pico42, Jan 2, 6:54am
In typical NZ driving conditions, chains are far more practical.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 2, 7:19am
I don't know that I agree. If you are needing chains then you are not really in typical NZ driving conditions.

My thinking is that if you are going to drive in ice/snow conditions at least once every year its worth some thought.

Remember winter tyres can be had cheap in this country as they are ripped off imports. If you pick up a spare set of wheels for your car and have them fitted its pretty easy to swap them over even if its just for the ski season or a ski trip. If I lived in the high country or well down south I would fit them all winter.

Chains are a pain if you have to use them in anything more than an occasional emergency. I especially hate chains in NZ because idiots ride your bumper or pass you (often sideways and out of control) when you are doing the max speed for your chains, because they have no idea about the conditions or how to drive.

Of course it depends on how long you keep your car, whether you only ski in perfect conditions etc.

My 2C

twink19, Jan 2, 7:34am
when we were in Japan, we had 2 sets of weels for our car. summer and winter tyres,in some areas if no winter tyre the police made you put chains on

pico42, Jan 2, 7:47am
I could have phrased that better. I meant that for the range of driving conditions typically encountered by NZ drivers, it remains more practical to simply carry a set of chains for the few occasions they find themselves driving in snow.

And in the High Country chains work well in muddy slush. Winter tyres, not so much.

Regular ski field runs - maybe winter tyres.

And finally, are winter tyres a permitted alternative to chains in the Queenstown Lakes district or Milford Road!

mrsdoobercoons, Jan 2, 9:24am
Not as far as I know pico, you still need chains as the conditions for chains, especially on Milford are more than winter tyres alone will handle.

There is a very strong case for running tyres that are suited to the temperature conditions down here, and the difference is dramatic.Most tyres sold in New Zealand are fine in Auckland, well that's were half the market is, but get them on a cold road and it all turns to shit, often well before the road freezes.

It can take a lot of digging to get information sometimes.The overseas tyre sites can be useful, provided the same tyres are sold there, but a lot of tyres on the market here don't seem to make it to the US or Europe.The tyre trade here is pretty slack about temp. ratings and really should do a lot better.