Hemi 392 V8 Great Sound

lara.in.ch-ch, Jan 2, 10:43am
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=l6nNkyJuqzc&list=FLKmAmyklU2Bsl1RVw32GNUg&index=14

Can some Muffler, Exhaust, Mechanic's, Hot Rod enthusiasts answer some questions for me. Listen to the Youtube clip and tell me what you think. 1. Can someone please explain what they mean by a Open Hemi 392 what open means on a V8 engine ! 2. What are all the little pots on top of the intake manifold where the carburetor and air cleaner normally would sit ! 3. Has this got a high lift or thunder cam in it to give it that deep down missing stalling sound !4. do you think this is just running 8 straight little pipes on it or are they some sort of special type of exhaust !

lara.in.ch-ch, Jan 2, 10:48am
Ive been listening to a few Youtube clips on different sounding V8 engines that sound good. 1. Is it possible to tell a normal V8 i.e Ford, Holden, Rover, Chev from a Hemi one, just from the sound alone!.and if so, how or what should I be listening for !

cuda.340, Jan 2, 10:52am
1/ open refers to the headers, there's no mufflers so the pipes are open to the atmosphere
2/the little pots are the carbs but they have little shields on them so the fuel doesn't get sucked out the top at speed.
3/nothing overkill with that cam, the sound is purely from open headers. if it had a hotter cam, the sound would be crisper.
4/this is as you say, running 8 pipes off the exhaust, more performance gains can be had if they joined into a single collector, but this is the old school way of doing things.

cuda.340, Jan 2, 10:59am
the bigger the ports, the more different the sound. the sound from inside the car is similar to my Max Wedge BB mopar. a rover doesn't even compare to the others & neither would a 308 Holden. BB Fords do make a lot of noise, even if they're not overly high in HP. Mopars tend to be slightly more distinctive due to the fact they run longer rods so the piston slows down more at the top n bottom of the stroke.

lara.in.ch-ch, Jan 2, 11:00am
Hey thanks for the help. I understand that this is pretty extreme in noise level running 8 pipes off the exhaust like this. But i just want to clarify theres proberly know way a vehicle sounding like this and this loud would ever get a WOF would it. All the same would a normal Rover V8, Chev Holden,Ford etc with the same exhaust system on it sound like this or it is the Hemi or it comparing apples with oranges !

lara.in.ch-ch, Jan 2, 11:04am
Cheers for the help. When you say ports you mean like the carburetor pots ! sorry i appreicate your help and they proberly sound like simple questions to someone who knows about engines like a mechanic but im not to mechanically minded. Your help is greatly appreicated

cuda.340, Jan 2, 11:15am
ports are the intake & exhaust runners in the heads. Hemi's like Top Fuelers that you see in Drag racing programs have ports you can almost drop a packet of ciggerettes down. the ports on the car in the vid are closer to a matchbox size.

lara.in.ch-ch, Jan 2, 11:24am
Ok cheers. Thanks for your help its greatly appreicated. Do you a simple 392 Hemi V8 with short straight exhausts on it would sound similar to this one !

esprit, Jan 2, 12:10pm
Depends what you like really. Rovers have a much sharper V8 sound to most yank or aussie engines. Not as brash, but listen to an RV8-powered TVR, and tell me it doesn't sound great! :)

trader_84, Jan 2, 7:08pm
I don't reckon . it would be like comparing an F1 engine to a Fueler. Both at the top of their game but that big Pentastar based Fuel engine . packs enough firepower to make the 'F' in F1 go limp from the shock waves alone.

the-lada-dude, Jan 2, 7:34pm
how about ahp/hrtestlol

cuda.340, Jan 2, 8:05pm
yeah possibly, as i said in the previous post, the cam isn't very wild on that ride.

twit7, Jan 2, 11:17pm
igot my little mopar runing in the week end dont sound as good as that one though http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=uozg4Ih0fPk

lara.in.ch-ch, Jan 3, 2:18am
Cheers mate. Thanks very much for your help its been greatly appreicated.

fordkiwi27, Jan 3, 3:31am
beast!

00quattro00, Jan 3, 3:59am

cuda.340, Jan 3, 8:11am
you need to stand next to a top fueler.

trader_84, Jan 3, 9:02am

lara.in.ch-ch, Jan 3, 11:21am
It definitely sounds good. A bit loud for me though

cuda.340, Jan 3, 7:43pm
couldn't you find one with a healthy BBM!