People movers. Hi alllooking at upgrading current caris a 1996 honda oddesygetting a bit old and sadbit like me am looking at ei

Page 2 / 3
mugenb20b, Jan 3, 8:59am
I'm getting bored of our Hyundai, thinking of getting something newer, just don't know what. Odyssey and Ipsum seem to tick all the boxes for us.

mugenb20b, Jan 3, 8:59am
Yeah.nah.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 3, 9:01am
Its a pity we don't seem to be getting the new Sharan turning up here, I get the impression it would be quite the machine. You could always import one.

Otherwise. there is always the M car with a performance chip!

If you are bored with the Hyundai I don't see the Ipsum keeping your attention long.

What about one of those Mercedes Vito's but the luxury version. I forget what they are called.

EDIT. Viano! That's what you need!
http://www.netcarshow.com/brabus/2003-mercedes-benz_viano/800x600/wallpaper_04.htm

pickles26, Jan 3, 9:07am
Buy a golf stretch if you like these features narrow seats stupid mirrors high oil consumption silly seat mechanisisms , cars that randomly stall due to stupid dsg software.oh and especially buy one if you like underpowered vehicles

thejazzpianoma, Jan 3, 9:08am
You have clearly never owned one. did a google search and mention every fault that ever occurred on what must be about the most popular and well designed vehicle platforms on earth did we!

mugenb20b, Jan 3, 9:09am
The Viano! Interesting.Hopefully they come out with auto transmissions, nice van.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 3, 9:10am
I think most of them are auto, probably the automated manual system as they are just an upspec Vito underneath as far as I am aware. I have never even sat in one, but I quite like the Vito and they certainly are economical, powerful and reliable.

I do see them pop up in NZ now and then too, plus plenty in the U.K to import.

mugenb20b, Jan 3, 9:17am
That's a nice looking van, good to see the lack of grey plastic. I didn't think that MB made such a vehicle.

pickles26, Jan 3, 9:18am
Correct i have not owned one however have worked on many and no Google spat out to many faults to list its interesting how vw takes up most of my technical and Aa fault books as well as the long lists of known faults in auto data and i have books and books of service technicalbulletins on vows outweighing all other makes and models

thejazzpianoma, Jan 3, 9:21am
Yeah, grey is more palatable when its leather. I seem to remember some interiors are nicer in the back too, grey on grey is a bit much for me.
I think they are quite popular in Europe, makes sense to me as a business vehicle too, you can rush exec's down the autobahn in style and anonymity. (take that spelling police!)

thejazzpianoma, Jan 3, 9:23am
Funny, we have owned several (not directly, family vehicles) and I service them. I have no trouble at all working on them and the faults I have found (on others cars) have been super easy to diagnose and fix. I just have a driveway, VCDS and basic tools.

VW are very good at issuing and improvement/fix rather than just ignoring things that can be improved. That's the way I like it, and given VW are the 2nd largest manufacturer in the world I think a few others likely agree with me.

I think its safe to say that VW spend more than just about anyone else on R and D, they get most things right straight out of the box. Look at their DSG transmission and Direct injected engines. The first DSG rates about as reliable as Toyota's old 4 speed auto and they were really about the first to build a direct injection engine that lasts properly.

pickles26, Jan 3, 9:26am
I have no trouble working on them either. Hey some people have great runs out of caviliars.ill agree with you there some manufactures cover things up or pass blame vw is not one of these

thejazzpianoma, Jan 3, 9:32am
I think a lot of problems people have (especially in this country) are ultimately maintenance issues. VW suits me down to the ground because they design things to be maintaned (look at the first gen DSG, with its easy access filter and 60K easy oil change).

Sadly though, so many just ignore maintenance and then throw a tantrum and blame the badge if their vehicle breaks. Other makes seem to pre-empt this sort of abuse and seek that demographic, trouble is they take all the nice toys away to make it work.

zak1998, Jan 3, 10:18am
Mazda MPV is good bet

azzman73, Jan 3, 9:08pm
We too are looking at a 7 seater, I have done a lot of research and considered our needs. And it looks like I have narrowed it down to the Ipsum (240s) or the Nissan Presage. the only main difference between these 2 is the Nissan has sliding doors (which is IMO a bonus) and is an 8 seater (which again is a bonus).
We wanted something that has decent space for trips and reasonable space with all seats in use. (FYI we have 2 kids and are planning 1 more).
We ruled out the Premacy and the Touran due to the boot space with all seats in use (a shame because I really liked the Premacy).
For a smaller option, which we may go for, the Wish has a fraction more boot space but still possibly not enough for us, but would be much more economical for around town use.
I may check out the ISIS as it has the sliding doors and more boot space.
We currently have a Toyota Carib, and while its a great car with 2 kids, we pack it to the gunnels when we go away, and with 1 more child it wont cut the mustard.
I have great things to say about Toyota and have owned a lot of them.
I wont touch a MPV, Estima (not my cup of tea styling wise) or Mitsi Grandis or Toyotas D4 engine because of the direct injection (possible) problems.

chebry, Jan 3, 9:58pm
Thats also a Chrysler in some markets.

kazbanz, Jan 3, 10:58pm
azzman73 -If you have looked at a wish then INTERIOR wise you have checked out an Isis.The layout and room is identical.
But horses for courses really. The Isis and wish are really economical station wagons for day to day use For your use going away with 2/3 kids the pressage rear area is just HUGE

kazbanz, Jan 3, 11:00pm
Mugen--Ive had about 30 2.5 presages and none have been CVT.
The 3.5l awd version I think is.-I don't touch em due to fuel consumption

mugenb20b, Jan 3, 11:29pm
Thanks Kazbanz, I didn't actually know that. I was just trying to tell Jazz that there are other kinds of efficient transmissions available apart from DSG.

mugenb20b, Jan 3, 11:29pm
Thanks Kazbanz, I didn't actually know that. I was just trying to tell Jazz that there are other kinds of efficient transmissions available.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 3, 11:41pm
Seems a bit odd, what do Chrysler call it!
Even if it is, nothing wrong with that, Hyundai could buy the rights to it for all I care.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 3, 11:41pm
I think you are thinking of the VW Routan, very different kettle of fish all together.

Its a funny U.S market thing, made in the states using a Chrysler platform.

The Sharan is a proper VW that uses the brillian TSI engines, DSG etc.

craig04, Jan 4, 4:02am
I blame the badge if I can't open the hatch on a mk5 Golf.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 4, 4:14am
LOL, I wonder how many will get that one.

kazbanz, Jan 4, 4:30am
I feel removal and replacement with something more robust would improve the cars value a lot. Im told you can buy aftermarket toyota badges.They are a bit tricky to fit to get the same mechanism but are a huge improvement over factory