Nissan Murano

stella40, Jan 20, 8:05am
My wife and I are looking at purchasing a Nissan Murano.We have a budget of around $20k so we would expect to be buying probably a 2006 for that money.Our reason for looking at these vehicles is ease of access due to my wife's hip problem (perfect height for her) plus they seem to offer alot and we both like the look of them.What I would like to know are the opinions from Murano owners and or mechanics who have worked on them as to their reliability and any known faults.

mugenb20b, Jan 20, 8:34am
No known faults that I've come across with Muranos. Easy to service, very nice to drive and it's very comfortable. Make sure you get one with a service history.

horsepower7, Jan 20, 8:50am
yea nice cars, we have sold a few with no problems ;-)

trdbzr, Jan 20, 9:01am
They are pretty good cars. As Mugen said, be sure to get one that has a service history and make sure the cvt has been serviced on time.

stella40, Jan 20, 10:13am
Thanks guys, we will only buy a NZ new and definitely want that service history.I don't know anything about CVT, will I notice a difference driving and what is the difference between CVT and normal auto.Forgive my ignorance but I only fill them up and drive them.

rovercitroen, Jan 20, 4:34pm
Mate was looking at these recently and the only weak point seems to be the CVT transmission. Lots of failures overseas apparently. The CVT used in the Murano is also VERY expensive to service due to the type of oil used.

haventrader, Jan 20, 6:32pm
Great vehicle, but thirsty. The 2.5l is underpowered - I think it has the same motor as the x-trail. Wide range of vehicles in that class to choose from. Consider Hyundai Santa fe too, which has a diesel option.

mugenb20b, Jan 20, 7:00pm
It's smoother than a normal auto, more ratios, better economy, but less reliable. Having said that, the Muranos that we service have done nearly 200k without an issue.

You will notice the difference when driving, it kind of feels like driving a car with a worn out, slipping transmission but still gaining speed nicely. The rev counter barely moves when accelerating.

Go on you tube and type in Nissan Hyper CVT and you'll see some videos on how it operates. Basically a steel belt revolving around two pullies that vary in size, giving you many ratios.

stella40, Jan 20, 9:11pm
Thanks eeryone, really appreciating this feedback.I would be looking to buy a 3.5 Ti and I would guess with my budget the km's are going to be anywhere from 80 to 110 give or take a little.At what intervals does the CVT need serviced and if there was a problem with it what are the things I would notice!I have read some overseas reviews about Muranos and some of them were a bit scary hence coming on here.I had also read alot of owners seemed to have had a problem with the drivers seat breaking, has anyone experienced this!
"haventrader", you mentioned Santa fe, I don't mind the latest Hyundai but on my budget the model I could purchase looks dated now whereas Murano still has a modern look.Yep you guessed it looks are high priority, for the wife anyway.Petrol wise with the Murano it isn't an issue and definitely won't consider a 2.5l or an import, can't read the buttons on the dash as they are in Japanese.
Another question, I know there are some 2WD out there, I don't want that but re the 4WD, are they 4WD or are they actually AWD or are there variations and if so how would I know!

mugenb20b, Jan 20, 9:34pm
4WD on Muranos is permanent (Subaru call this AWD.same thing though) and you can tell it's a 4WD by looking underneath the car. Look for a rear differential and axles, if you are not sure, ask the dealer or a local mechanic to check.

As for the CVT servicing, take it to a NIssan dealer, they'll know their way around it, will have the correct oil in stock and will advise you on when to service it (hopefully). The CVT needs to smooth at all times, the pre purchase inspection that you are going to pay for should be able to point out any potential problems. If you are worried about it you can also get mechanical insurance.

Seats breaking! Haven't seen that yet, but the PR50 chassis Terrano was know for that problem. So, try and have a look with a torch under the seat for anything that looks out of place and give the seat a good firm shake.

stella40, Jan 20, 9:49pm
Thank you mugenb20b, you have been most helpful.Before buying I will arrange with Nissan to do a thorough check on it and let's hope whatever one I end up buying will provide us with good reliability and enjoyment.

stella40, Jan 20, 10:01pm
mugenb20b, sorry just one more question, upon looking at 2005 through to 2008 Ti's they all look the same at a glance, are there differences with each year either under the lid or interior/exterior!

mugenb20b, Jan 20, 10:17pm
I honestly wouldn't know, I've only worked on '06 models with 3.5 litre V6 engines, both with leather interiors. I do believe that later models had different dashboards. The early ones had a speedo cluster that looked like something you'd find amongst LEGO toys, it wasn't to everyone's taste. But, either way, the Murano will not dissapoint when it comes to features and comfort. My wife and I have 4 kids which would make the Murano almost useless for us, otherwise I'd happily buy one. Good luck with your purchase.

bwg11, Jan 21, 2:03am
Excellent thread. All intelligent questions and sensible answers. A rare thing on this MB. Long may it last. Buy the way, a friend has had a Murano from new, now done 65,000, bit thirsty but trouble free and he loves it.

trdbzr, Jan 21, 2:31am
Nissan would be able to plug in their computer and tell what condition the cvt oil is in, and when it will need replacing. Be sure that only genuine nissan cvt oil has been used in it, if it has been changed. There have been a few recalls for the Murano and just check to see that they have all been done.

stella40, Jan 21, 4:03am
I have to agree, I was hesitant to come on here thinking I may get stupid answers but I have found this most helpful and yes sensible answers.I am now wondering if at some stage the CVT has been serviced and has not had the correct oil in it then what would be the repercussions down the track of that or is it a simple case of draining it and replacing with the correct one.I have to be honest I don't know anything mechanical about cars.

kdcentralni, Jan 21, 7:10am
My Friend at Nissan NZ absolutely swears by them one of the best products to come out of this marque.