You about Jazz?

cantab1971, Jan 20, 11:35pm
wanna ask your opinion of a 2nd beamer as a runabout.don't want to create havoc and handbags at 20 paces on the message board though.

saxman99, Jan 20, 11:47pm
Jazz doesn't really get into Bimmers.

cantab1971, Jan 20, 11:49pm
oh.I thought he was the Euro guru!

is it alright to ask people opinions of several auctions! i see the proverbial flying sometimes and threads being deleted but I'm never sure what for.I'm not enough of a regular :)

jmma, Jan 20, 11:51pm
Just ask anyway.
If handbags start flying, Its not your fault (o:

cantab1971, Jan 20, 11:56pm
ok
:)I think I want one of these to cart around computer gear and to double as a small car for the missus to learn in (my 525 is too big - so she says).551703453, 553718731, 546406606, 553305665. I'll just pay cash and try to get them down a bit more. just thought i'd ask for opinions - although they all seem much the same :)

saxman99, Jan 20, 11:59pm
He is known as that around here by people who lump euro cars together as a single brand as if they were all the same.

He is a fan of Fiat, Alfa Romeo, VW, Audi and is very well versed in their upkeep etc. and has extensive knowledge on these.

Apologies to jazz for speaking on his behalf if that's inaccurate.

mugenb20b, Jan 21, 12:05am
Out of those, I would get the '02 model, good handling, but to me, it's just a German Corolla.

boardrider, Jan 21, 12:19am
Chip on your shoulder!

jmma, Jan 21, 12:24am
1ST Handbag (o:

cantab1971, Jan 21, 12:49am
thanks. yep.that 02 one confuses things without a final price on it. presume it will go for a fair bit more than the others.not wanting to spend more than 5k so it might be out of the running. perhaps I can ask for a runner up after that one, from anyone that has time on their hands to compare the listings :)

mugenb20b, Jan 21, 1:02am
I can't comment on the prices, but seeing you like Euro cars, have you considered a 5 door hatch vehicle! It might be more practical than a 318 Ti. $5k could buy a mk4 VW Golf.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 21, 1:21am
All good saxman, you are pretty much on the money as well.
Although I do have a little bit of experience with BMW, Citroen and the like, I have even been known to own and work on the odd Japanese car too.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 21, 1:34am
I haven't had the pleasure of driving the TI, closest I have had much to do with is the 325i.
I don't think its a terrible idea, although I would go for something a little more economical for your purpose myself, even if I had to sacrifice a little bit of power or Germanic feel to do so. (hence my picking the Punto for that purpose)
It might be a good idea to research the transmissions in those, so many automatic cars of that age either were not designed to have the transmission serviced or they are neglected. Its usually about the only likely failure to render such a car uneconomical to fix. I don't know myself how those 3 series transmissions hold up.
If I had to pick something German for that money I would probably go MK4 Golf with the 1.6 in manual. Pretty low on grunt to be honest but has that quality German feel to it and they are economical, reliable and low/easy maintenance.
Up to you though, you obviously like your BMW's and are familiar with them and likely have contacts for servicing etc.
Best of luck with it and hopefully some of the others might be able to give you some more in depth advice, you certainly could start a "BMW experts" thread that might help. Just ignore the handbag throwers, or as the instigator of the thread don't be afraid to politely ask them to stop side tracking things if that happens.