Nissan presage

nikki78, Jan 22, 10:08pm
we are looking at purchasing one. currently have a honda odyssey and need 8 seats. looking at a 2006 v6. what are they like to drive, has anyone driven/owned one!
cheers.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 22, 10:37pm
Don't forget to do the math on whether you can afford to run it.
You are looking at not far off twice the running costs of a Mercedes Viano.

nikki78, Jan 22, 10:43pm
going by the fuel rating, it's about $300/yr more than the odyssey to run. based on their formula of $2/ltr and driving 14000km. obviously we might do a little more than that and pertrol is 10c a ltr more, but as an across-the-board standard (all cars done with the same formula lol) then it's not much difference. i hope lol.

nikki78, Jan 22, 10:44pm
our odyssey is a 2.4 vtec, 2003 absolute. great wagon, over 500km per tank. from what i have read the presage is not far off. i just want to know what they handle like, if they are as good as the odyssey.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 22, 10:49pm
The fuel rating is not even close from my experience, and that is not uncommon for those sorts of global orphan cars (Presage is only sold new in the likes of Japan and possibly HongKong).

I would expect real world consumption, dropping the kids to school etc (as you do in a people mover) will be at least 14l/100km based on my experience.

Like I said above, almost twice the running costs of the likes of the Mercedes Vianno which would do the same job.

I should add that the Odyssey is still fairly pricy to run too, so its just a matter of being aware that there are much cheaper to run options available and being comfortable with paying the extra $50 or so a week (over the Mercedes not the Odyssey). If you are happy with that then well and good.

kazbanz, Jan 22, 11:16pm
Nikki-I need to clarify something with you before posting comment.
(I sell a LOT of presages and "personally" own and drive a 2007 2.5l Presage.
You say that the one you are looking at is a V6. Are you 100% certain that it is in fact a V6!
Most presages are a 2.5 litre four cylinder.
Only the four wheel drive version with the 3.5l engine is in fact a V6
The internal layout is identical but the fuel consumption is totally different.
Allowing it is actually a V6 3.5l the fuel consumption in all honesty is not good.-Its into Alphard,V6 estima,Nissan elgrande territory. -Ie bigger/roomier vehicles.
If its the 2.5l front wheel drive then the fuel consumption will be almost identical to your odditty (Odyssey) or an MPV 2.3 --Ie the same as most station wagon type people movers.
I find the Presage roomy and comfortable to drive BUT its not a "real" 8 seater.
I'd call it a 7.5 seater. if its out of carseat kids no problem but if its 8 full sised adults the three in the middle row of seats are a bit squashed.
But to answer your main question--YES definitely as nice to drive as your odyssey.

nikki78, Jan 22, 11:41pm
it's a 3.5 v6, says nothing about being 4wd though, which i don't want. better look into that! lol we wouldn't have 8 adults at once, so that's all good. thanks heaps for your help!

kazbanz, Jan 23, 12:01am
Nikki-I've retyped this a half dozen times but can't think of a polite way to "say" it.
Sorry if this seems blunt but unless you really need more power than your oddity has DONT DO IT! if you are planning on towing with it DEFINITELY don't do it. (the 3.5l has a CVT transmission that just isn't up to heavy tows)
Just to explain where I'm coming from.
The particular Presage you are looking at is a second generation.It came out in 2003 and is IDENTICAL right through to 2006/2007-In 2007 they had a facelift but diddn't change layout,engine transmission etc -it just looks prettier.
. The 3.5l is a thirsty beast-I do mean decent thirsty. Unless you are getting the 3.5 literally thousands cheaper than an equivilant 2.5l then it makes no sense at all to buy one.
If on a budget Id look at a 2004/2003 2.5 itre

nikki78, Jan 23, 12:47am
i appreciate your bluntness, i'd rather know that not know. we are getting this one for $13k, 99km. good deal or nah!

mdread, Jan 23, 3:00am
We have a 03 or 04 Presage which we have had a couple of years. I think its pretty good, and drives well. The seat layout is good being able to move around, and as said the 8th seat (pushing the two centre seats together and a lapbelt) is not really a full size seat. Thinking about selling ours later in the year as its time for a change but I would recommend them to people as well. I also like the look of the new shape (06/07) mazda mpv as well

mdread, Jan 23, 3:04am
And the fuel comsuption in our 2.5L I would call reasonable, ours is used for around town, kids to school etc. Never noticed that it uses too much fuel. It would definetly be over 500km per tank as well

nikki78, Jan 23, 5:27am
the one we are looking at is definitely not a 4wd, thank god. apparently the 3.5L comes in 4wd and non 4wd. other v6 vehicles don't seem to be overly thirsty, i guess we will just have to wait and see. we need a bigger car, these look good and according to what others have said on here, they are good to drive. it's got keyless start, side and back parking (reversing) camera. the car yard here had a consultant of theirs in auck drive it today, and they said it was amazing. i deal with this car yard for all my cars, have known them for donkeys years so i trust them. i feel we are getting a good deal, i guess we just gota take the risk with fuel consumption lol. thanks everyone for your input.

kazbanz, Jan 23, 6:38am
Nikki -I'm sorry but concidering you can buy a 2007 which is facelift with say 88 ish k's for $14000 then I feel its about 2000 so too expensive.
The other issue I forgot to mention with the 3.5l version is that all of them usually are CVT transmission. I personally don't have much faith in the bigger Nissans with CVT

vtecintegra, Jan 23, 6:46am
Why not! They're a totally different design to the one you get in the smaller engined models.

kazbanz, Jan 23, 6:49am
Im not comfortable with them because of the limited tow capacity.Happy to be proven wrong but I havent heard great things about em in Japan.-This is in contrast to personal experience and feedback regarding the 2.5 model

nikki78, Jan 23, 8:35am
thanks for the effort to find these. however, the one we are getting is much nicer than either of these. it's got the 2 backing cameras, stain-free interior, keyless start etc. it looks nicer. it's the top end of the scale of these wagons, "elite" or some such. it's on here too, through turners. its cheaper than what we are getting it for through the car yard, but we get it serviced, rego etc included. plus we don't have to pay for it to get down here lol.

nikki78, Jan 23, 9:25am
oh and we don't have any need for towing lol. i had a toyota hilux years ago (pre marriage and kids) and it got a cracked head. a guy at the diesel place that fixed it said any jap imports required for towing should have radiators replaced as they are used for light duty travelling over there compared to what we use cars for here so they don't handle being worked hard.

guest, Nov 7, 5:19pm
Hi, I'm looking into purchasing a '2005 Nissan Presage autech 2.5 v6' is this car fuel efficient?