Truck speeds controled by satellites?

Page 1 / 3
gunhand, Feb 5, 7:41am
Ok, there is some clever technology out there but Fonterra truck speeds can not be controlled by head office via satellites, can they!
I found someone claiming this in General so before I make a twat of myself I thought I would check.
I 100% sure they can't.They can track you see and log your speed and know what you have been up to etc but control it!
From General the next bit.

gunhand wrote:

Trucks are regulated by satellites!

Oh do keep up. Its called GPS, and their management can watch control and regulate every move, in real time if that's what they wish.

pestri (16 )8:29 pm, Tue 5 Feb #19

thejazzpianoma, Feb 5, 7:48am
I have no idea whether they do or not, but I can see that from a technical perspective remote speed control would be easy enough. It would also be easy enough to program a maximum speed based on the speed limit for the area the truck is in at the time, which I would have thought to be more useful.

Overall, I am not sure whether this would increase or decrease safety though. I like the idea that the guy in the truck has full and sole control.

richynuts, Feb 5, 7:49am
My mate worked for fonterra I pretty sure he said the trucks are just governed to 90km, they are however tracked by GPS. He did about 800kms a day.

kiwitbird, Feb 5, 7:49am
no they can not control truck, a e-mail will be sent to op's with time , date and speed if the truck exceeds 90 k's

offrd1, Feb 5, 7:50am
Ha Ha.no the Fonterra truck speeds are notcontrolled by satellites,they are tracked by GPS

skiff1, Feb 5, 7:51am
exactly

digger148, Feb 5, 7:52am
Yeah I seen that in general.
No our speed isn't controlled by satellite.
Any overspeeds 93-95km are recorded by the onboard computer (TAMS, Tanker activity management system) and sent to those who pay the wages.
Generally with my foot hard to the floor my truck will do 90km and thats it.

gunhand, Feb 5, 7:54am
Well I knew dam well they can't control ya speed from head office via a satellite but just sometimes when ya go say something you are certain is wrong it can indeed turn out to be true. Not this time though.
I must go ask some more questions over there LOL/

gammelvind, Feb 5, 7:58am
If you are feeling particularly masochistic go ask questions in Parenting.

gunhand, Feb 5, 7:58am
Go over and make them dig a deeper hole LOL.

bigfatmat1, Feb 5, 8:23am
I do not know about fontera but yes engine output and speed can be governed via some gps units however this is more than likely done via gsm not satalite but is part of the gps system. I have never had much to do with that side of things. They also monitor acc and can have multiple inputs some have 30+ connected to things like diff lock tail trips pto's ect ect. Some trucks use the gps to monitor the topograph to conserve fuel

puddleduck00, Feb 5, 8:27am
God I hate our nanny state sometimes.

datoofairy, Feb 5, 8:28am
I went for a ride with my ex in his new truck the other day. If he gets too close to the vehicle in front, the truck slows down to maintain a set distance. He did say it can be programmed to control all sorts of other factors too. Its pretty cool.

johnf_456, Feb 5, 8:29am
If drivers are not speeding there is no problem.

40wav, Feb 5, 8:33am
Oh for &*%#s &*%#ing sake!What is it with you!

bigfatmat1, Feb 5, 8:34am
yes there is. I.E that truck has idled to may hours. Or that pto on the road sweeper has only been engaged fo 1 hr but he says he swept for 8 hr. That shingle truck is overloaded, that truck is cornering to fast. That guy does not have his ebs connected.

bigfatmat1, Feb 5, 8:36am
that guys time sheets says he started at 8 and finished at 6 but his truck was parked outside home till 9 and got home at 3

johnf_456, Feb 5, 8:36am
Yup, catches the dishonest ones out.

philltauranga, Feb 5, 8:36am
If all this speed control sound hi-tec, it dosent hold a bar to the driverless mining dumptrucks NOW working in Aust. mines due to driver shortages. Or how bout the Germans - Mercedes, they have ( a few years ago now) tested "electronic drawbars" on test tracks, these are 1 truck and driver infront with up to 3-4 trucks behind with no driver, they all mimick the front truck exactly, follow at a set distance turn and brake, all exactlly the same as the front truck but are only "electronically" connected, there is no other drawbar or wiring between them and NO DRIVER. Pretty trick aye! all us truckies will all be replace by computers before long. who will all the impatient drivers road rage then!

johnf_456, Feb 5, 8:38am
And the problem is! I take it you don't like people getting caught for anything.

gunhand, Feb 5, 8:39am
Or, every 3rd day at 2.15am the truck stops at the same address for an hour. Its not his house and he is married and its in another town. And of course its not a truck stop or eatery (well maybe) and is in a residentual area.

40wav, Feb 5, 8:39am
We will Rage Against The Machine!

bigfatmat1, Feb 5, 8:40am
on public roads you will always need a driver/operator on board. however with cars california has passed a law to allow autonomous cars on the road

gunhand, Feb 5, 8:41am
Im sure they will find something to rage at. But at the same time all the cars will be the same, well you sit but don't drive at least.

40wav, Feb 5, 8:44am
The problem is that you just come in and say the most inane things like a little goody goody, then when the going gets a bit close to home, you disappear and pop up somewhere else with a silly comment. You offer nothing constructive to any thread and copy others to 'fit in'. I suppose the effort must be noted but really, just take a minute and think about what you're going to write, then think about whether you should.