Query re Toyota Corolla Fielder

rushka, Feb 6, 12:14am
Daughter is looking in car yards and asked me to post two queries about 2 x Fielder 1500cc station wagons she is looking at.is anyone able to offer any helpful advice!

1)is there any difference in power between auto and manual transmissions - what!

2)is there any difference between a standard Fielder and a 4x4 Fielder - what!

andy61, Feb 6, 1:09am
Wont be any real power difference between auto/manual,unless you need 4WD ie muddy paddocks,skifields etc go for a 2WD as fuel consumption will be higher with 4WD.If you want more power go for a Fielder S (1800cc engine,and they are really economical on fuel)

rushka, Feb 6, 1:38am
many thanks Andy61 - will pass your comment to daughter

mcscottwgtn, Feb 6, 1:43am
I have a Fielder S 1.8 Auto 4wd. It returns 8ltrs/100km on average. Not bad for an ancient car (13 years old). Looking for a brand new replacement. Some new cars 'official economy' cant even better what I get from it. The 1.8 is no speed demon.

rushka, Feb 6, 1:49am
thanks mcscott

toyboy3, Feb 6, 2:37am
1.8 Manual 5 speed will do town and mostly country runs does765 km.then stopped, on a 55 litre tank the last 150kmwas with the fuel light on only one person onboard

kdcentralni, Feb 6, 3:33am
Get a 2 wheel drive and preferably a Z Touring.

ralphdog1, Feb 6, 4:29am
1.8 Manual 5 speed 2wd, averages 7l/100km, mixed town & rural running.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 6, 11:32am
Be very careful if considering early 2000's models, dealers are asking (and getting) absurd money for them. Better to buy a 2007 model for much the same price, your daughter will stand to lose a lot less.

A nice tidy 2007 for about 11K with sub 100K on the clock is O.K value for money. Still not much of a car though, and 10 years behind the game in technology and features.

Paying 8-12K for an early 2000's model is a mugs game. You get "bubbles" like this often with Toyota's. Its also happening at the moment with Hilux's that are a few years old with over 100K on the clock but nearly new money. A few years ago it was Yaris's, people laughed at me for pointing it out then, yet a couple of years later many had lost half or more of what they paid.

Like all bubbles, they burst and the owners who have bought at the wrong time lose out. However, the bubbles are fairly predictable so you can play them to your advantage.

Best of luck.

rushka, Feb 9, 9:47am
Thanks everyone for your comments.Daughter eventually found and bought a Toyota Wish.