Rego on hold does anyone know.

bexzg, Feb 10, 6:39am
I have a vehicle with the rego on hold. I am going to sell it and am debating de-registering it as I do not want to be stung with the fees of back paying for rego. Does anyone know exactly howthe fees work in terms of someone buying the vehicle and putting it on the road again (with same rego) am I going to have to pay the 9 or so months back pay or is it just from date of rego expiry to date I put it on hold I have to pay for!

smac, Feb 10, 6:44am
Is it on exemption or not! If it is, no fees owing, that's the whole point.

a.woodrow, Feb 10, 6:44am
If it's already on hold there is nothing to pay.

a.woodrow, Feb 10, 6:46am
If it's not currently on hold you should probably back pay it if you want to sell at a decent price. Most people steer clear of deregistered cars due to the high cost of recompliance. Also you will get a bill for any outstanding rego anyway

lazzo, Feb 10, 6:46am
Unless it is less than 3 months from the date it was put on hold then you will have to pay for that 3 months otherwise just pay from the date it comes off hold

merrigj, Feb 10, 6:47am
You will lose more than 9 months rego on the value of the vehicle.Pay the nine months and put it on hold.

meathead_timaru, Feb 10, 6:50am
If it's on exemption you do not backpay except within the first 3 months. The exemption carries over to the new registered owner.

If you deregister it you're an idiot because it becomes worth a lot less.

bexzg, Feb 10, 7:01am
Yup its on hold pretty sure it was put on hold within a few days of rego expiring. Been on hold well over 3 months. Thanks for answering what I needed to know

intrade, Feb 10, 9:49am
fact is if you derego it it will be worth scrap metal only
fact 2 you owe the money anyhow if its overdue you pay and if you now put it on hold you also pay but you got a better chance of getting more then scrap metal if it is on hold
always put on hold for 12 month no matter what. only benefits when you do that. and to mutch to explain why but its is .no drawbacks

brapbrappy, Feb 10, 9:23pm
Might depend on how long it was put on hold initally . If it was only 3 months you better contact the NZTA and continue the exemption.