Help nissan td 27

faybian, Feb 10, 8:13am
hey just wondering if anyone can help have d21 terrano automatic that runsgreat at idle take it for a run up road from cold start gos good for bout 1km then guttless and has a big rattle coming from engine i just put a second hand gearbox in it

faybian, Feb 10, 8:15am
i have drained the tank ran it out of diesel and put fresh stuff in and have tryed different injectors and new fuel filter

mm12345, Feb 10, 8:19am
Was it doing this before you put the new transmission in it!

petermcg, Feb 10, 8:19am
Could be loose torque converter bolts for the knocking, but maybe there is a sensor not wired that could be on the temperature side of things could be altering the timing

faybian, Feb 10, 8:32am
iput gearbox in for a guy he said is was running sweet before hand the gearbox changes smooth as torque converter bolts have double checked

faybian, Feb 10, 8:33am
it is a mechanical diesel pump not a efi one.

xs1100, Feb 10, 9:07am
isnt there something with the autos buggering out after a rebuild one of the sensors used to happen years ago happened to a mate after he had his trans rebuilt some sensor supposely buggered out,

snoopy221, Feb 10, 9:17am
take it for a run up road from cold start gos good for bout 1km then guttless

Well when cold the temperature sensor in the automatic gearbox you have changed will NOT allow it to engage top gear(overdrive)

faybian, Feb 10, 9:22am
ok but the engine knocks and smokes

mm12345, Feb 10, 9:52am
What colour is the smoke!
White/grey probably = air in the lines.
Black probably = stuffed pump or injector, timing etc.

So you ran it out of diesel.I presume that after doing this you bled the fuel delivery system using the bleed valve on the pump - not just the bleed valve on the filter housing as per the way you do it when you change the filter!You need to pump quite a lot of diesel through to get the system clear of air - one small bubble can cause a lot of grief.

Edit to say that there's probably some automatic cold-start device on the pump, and also probably an EGR system controlled by a temp sensor (and probably not the same one sending a signal to the gauge on the instruments).

petermcg, Feb 11, 3:55am
I think the egr might be connected to a flap in the exhaust that closes like an exhaust brake, , works by vacuum so check your vacuum pump.

bwg11, Feb 11, 5:49am
How is the turbo! May be stuffed and stopping spinning as it warms up - check your boost pressure and eliminate the turbo. Have seen an MU with this problem - no power, diesel knock and lots of smoke through over-fueling.