Volvo XC90 advice please

bee., Jan 28, 5:50am
Hi, my husband & I are considering purchasing a Volvo XC90 T6 or 2.5T 7 seater and wondered it there was anyone out there who might be able to shed some light on a few things!Basically any pros and cons for either model would be wonderfully helpful.We test drove a nice T6 in the weekend which was lovely to drive, but has already done 166k's which I must say is a little more than we'd ideally like.Although the k's are of course far from ideal, do you think this is a major problem and we should steer away from it, or is it okay as long as it's been regularly serviced! It has had its transmission overhauled, which we've heard is a common problem in the T6, 3 litre model. does anyone know if is this also the case wih the 2.5T model!Just wondering what other people's experiences have been.
I'm also trying to work out how many airbags a 2003/4/5 T6 has.Does it come with 8 airbags as standard, or are the extra airbags an option!It was not very obvious by looking in the car, and we could only see 4 SRS Airbag labels within the 2004 model we looked at, yet it wasn't clear whether the SIPS also deployed an airbag if required.It's really important to us that there are airbags for the kids in the back seats as well as the front.
Sorry for the beginner questions!Any advice or feedback you can give would be greatly appreciated!We really love the features of the XC90 and are trying to decide whether we should be going for a 2.5T or 3 litre twin turbo. Although we have test driven the 3 litre, there are unfortunately no 2.5's for sale for us to test drive within many hours drive of where we live. So we can currently only go on what we can read on the net.
Thanks so much!

shorebee, Jan 28, 5:52am
once the auto has been done it should be good for 50-80ks as long as engine maintained, autos are problematic regardless and depends on towing and driving style and servicing, personally id look at a higher mileage santafe

thejazzpianoma, Jan 28, 5:59am
Its really just all about the transmission with those. The 5 Speed auto (which I think is earlier examples but can't remember the swap over date) is the problematic one. It will still give you grief with the 2.5T as well.

If it is serviced regularly though it will tend to last O.K, most people though just let them swim in their own filth until they die and then wave their arms around in the air.

The 2.5T is actually the engine I would go for, it is cheaper to service and much better on gas.

Volvo parts in NZ are a ripoff so if you want to keep service costs down consider ordering your own parts when the big service is due and getting someone to fit them labour only.Parts are cheap and easy to get overseas.

Other than that, pretty good cars. Just get it checked out thoroughly by someone familiar with Volvo's before hand, bring all servicing up to date (including timing belt based on TIME not just km's). Then keep servicing it, especially the transmission (which I would personally do as often as every 30K/2 years, make sure the correct factory fluid is used every time.

Best of luck with it.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 28, 6:01am
Oh, and you might hear some nightmare stories about throttle bodies. the XC90's you are looking at should be late enough not to have too many issues in that area.

Make sure its scanned for fault codes before you buy it, especially look for transmission codes.

bee., Jan 28, 6:14am
Thanks so much both of you for your really helpful replies so far, I really appreciate it!Another thing I wondered. as mentioned above I have only test driven the T6 twin turbo.This vehicle was pretty darn responsive and powerful when I accelerated as if overtaking, but yes I can totally imagine that it would be far thirstier on fuel than the 2.5T. Does anyone happen to know if the 2.5T has any turbo lag being a single turbo, and also will it be dramatically less powerful than the 3 litre twin turbo!One thing we loved about the T6 was that it felt like it had plenty of power in reserve if needed for overtaking or for accelerating strongly uphill if required.Is the 2.5T likely to still feel fairly powerful!Sorry for such a subjective question. it's just we don't have a 2.5T to test drive and compare with! Thanks :)

thejazzpianoma, Jan 28, 6:18am
I have not driven the 2.5T in the XC90 and I am not even sure if there is just the one power output option with it in that vehicle either.

However. the 2.5T does have plenty of kick to it, its just the twin turbo T6 is a real barn stormer. Really, you just have to drive it for yourself, I certainly think there is a reasonable chance you will find the performance is to your liking.

Otherwise, if you don't mind the fuel bill and a bit extra at timing belt time the T6 is also a very good engine.

lobster, Feb 13, 7:00am
Hi - we have an XC90 T6 and love it - the transmission was replaced at 50km and the car has not missed a beat since. We have now done 145km. The T6's (and I think all XC90's) all have front side and curtain airbags for all seats (including the third row which isnt always the case with curtains in other models). Fuel consumption isnt too bad for a 2 tonne vehicle - 11 l/100km on highway, but it increases around town.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 13, 7:03am
Bit of advice. make sure you keep servicing that transmission. You are entering the danger zone again if you have not serviced it since the replacement.

bee., Mar 12, 8:29am
Thanks Lobster and Jasspianoman for your fantastic advice.At this stage we have decided on a T6 and are hoping to get it in just over a week. can't wait!Thanks again so much for your help. :)

bee., Mar 12, 8:30am
*sorry Jazz. meant to say Jazzpiano man!