New tech for car theives

Page 1 / 3
pnh4, Mar 14, 7:39am
How to Lock Your Car and Why!

"I locked my car.As I walked away I heard my
car door unlock.
I went back and locked my car again three times.

Each time, as soon as I started to walk away, I
could hear it unlock again!Naturally alarmed, I looked around
and there were two men sitting in a car next to the Store.

They were obviously watching me intently, and
there seemed no doubt they were somehow involved in this very weird
situation.

I quickly abandoned my errand, jumped into my car
and sped away.

I went straight to the police station, told them
what had happened, and found out I was part of a new, and very
successful, scheme being used to gain entry into parked cars.

Two weeks later, my friend's son had a similar
experience.While travelling, he stopped at a motorway service area
to use the toilet.

When he came out to his car less than 5 minutes
later, someone had managed to get into his car and had stolen his
mobile phone, laptop computer, sat-nav, briefcase and other
belongings.

He called the police and since there were no signs
of his car having been broken into, the police told him he had
probably been a victim of the latest robbery tactic ??

panicky, Mar 14, 7:44am
What a load of bollocks.Whilst this could of possibly been done back in the early 90's when keyless entry started to be used, since then manufacturers have been using rolling code technology which makes this impossible in the scenario given.

esprit, Mar 14, 7:45am
*cough* bullshit *cough*

Most cars these days use a rolling code anyway.

bevharris1938, Mar 14, 7:50am
bullshit copy n paste from here http://forums.v3.co.uk/showthread.php!t=228879

freedomaira320, Mar 14, 7:59am
It's rubbish. Well debunked on Snopes if you want to read more.

morrisman1, Mar 14, 8:22am
you've been watching gone in 60 seconds!

nissan_fan, Mar 14, 8:29am
almost every alarm has rolling codes even the cheap ones. The code they get would be usless as it changes every time you unlock or lock it

pnh4, Mar 14, 8:34am
So if I know how to copy & paste something, its bullshit, riiiighhtt,,, It works just like a universal remote, dippy.

rednsr, Mar 14, 8:45am
You dont know what you are talking about do you!
Ever coded a new key to a modern car!
Didn't think so.

bigfatmat1, Mar 14, 8:45am
The only way this would work is if the person sniffing the signal new the correct algorithm and was able to reproduce the next code which seems highly unlikely

sr2, Mar 14, 8:50am
Modern car alarms use rolling codes, but surprisingly enough most garage door openers, and even more alarmingly many domestic (house) remotes are still on fixed codes. Most of the infrared and RF analysers (often called grabbers/cloners) used these days are run from a laptop, the hardware can be bought cheaply over the internet and the software is an easy download, they work amazingly well but are not effective against rolling codes.

outbidyou2, Mar 14, 9:00am
My Mum a few years back when I was visiting casually asked if I knew what 'this; was. It was a crude circuit with battery encased with a sort of button thing. I pressed it almost by chance and her garage door opened.

She had found it in the garden.

bigfatmat1, Mar 14, 9:01am
It is possible http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/KeeLoq#section_3 nb the time is days

msj23, Mar 14, 10:11am
Epic fail

pnh4, Mar 14, 10:34am
Further & very valid info, thanks for that

sr2, Mar 14, 10:48am
Dated march 2008 with a documented proviso of "this page has some issues"!
You are way more trusting than I am!
(Although by no means an authority on car alarms I have 10 years experience as a consultant in the commercial security industry).

bigfatmat1, Mar 14, 6:12pm
check the references nb the time periods days if nb weeks to reproduce a code. We have better technology now this is still not something that could be done with a little bit of gear quickly on the side of the road and would only apply to cars using that algorithm. This is also nothing like a universal remote more complex than that

pnh4, Mar 14, 7:17pm
Good on you for protecting your income, this is by no means personally against it. Its use your KEY instead of REMOTE if in doubt OK guys!

socram, Mar 14, 7:36pm
Except that:At what age did the rolling code technology get fitted to cars and what was the age of the OP's car!

Secondly, not all cars have a keyhole on the driver's side anyway.

I hada classic case on ours. We weregoing away for a fair time and locked the car in the garage as usual, with the passenger's side fairly close to a workbench.
On our return, the remote batteries had gone flat and they are only rechargeble when in the ignition slot.
However, the car only has one (hidden) keyhole - yup, on the passenger's side.Believe me, if I had been 3mm fatter, I'd never have managed to squeeze into the car at all.

When you use the key, it also sets off the alarm - until the key is put into the docking slot - not easy given that I had to squeeze across the car to do it!
As no one ever steals Brit made cars, I could leave it unlocked anyway at home, inside a locked garage, but I never do.

intrade, Mar 14, 8:00pm
i have done that 1bout 15 years ago with a tv remote contoll learner remote, you have to point the remote to the learner right in front and it learns the code from the key. I would not be surprised if they can now snatch these codesfrom mid-air as i done that 15 year ago and it worked my mothers peugeot 205 or something she had no problem. they soon sold it after that .

bigmuz1, Mar 14, 8:07pm
Some cars, if you use the key instead of the remote, the alarm system won't be on, so if the thief uses the much more common method of entry of smashing a window, he will be able to nick your stuff in silence

nzoomed, Mar 14, 8:30pm
Yes its technically possible, but would take a while to crack.

gadgit3, Mar 14, 8:38pm
That would work for I.R keyless remotes but not R.F remotes

neville48, Mar 14, 9:04pm
Who gives a toss about all this modern bull-pucky anyway. If you leave yur laptop on the front seat and go into the shop the baddy can smash the side window ,snatch yur laptop and be "gone in 60 seconds" anyway while the techno baddy is still sitting there pushing buttons.Moral of the story.dont leave yur gear visible if at all.

pnh4, Mar 15, 12:10am
The moral of this is "Public Awareness", & as Cheif would say "Lets be Careful out there".