Price guide for work on cars.

christin, Mar 11, 4:12am
I know how long is a piece of string, but can someone give me a rough idea of the prices i should expect for the following.Just checking as i have had a well known place try and make me do work that wasnt needed in the past so cautious now as often females can be seen as not knowing anything about cars (and in this case, i dont know too much mechanical apart from checking the oil, batteries, changing tyres etc!)

- squealing belt (when AC on) on a nissan pulsar N16 2003
- L/R lower hub bush starting to crack.on my last warrant inspection for a honda odyssey 1995

Could anyway tell me a rough guide so i know if theyre trying to rip me off or not :-)Thanks!

incar., Mar 11, 4:16am
whats a lower hub bush! maybe lower arm rear bush

christin, Mar 11, 4:20am
not sure, thats what was written on my warrant inspection.Unfortunately youre asking the wrong person here sorry (fix pcs, not cars :-) )

christin, Mar 11, 4:25am
the squealing happened after new belts, so guess its an adjustment. so hopefully that wont be too much!

thunderbolt, Mar 11, 4:32am
The new belts are now probably too badly worn to adjust, depends how long it has been like that and if they are Micro V belts.

christin, Mar 11, 4:42am
the belts arent that old, but only noticed the squealing a months after being installed as only happens with aircon on.didnt use them when they were done over winter.hopefully not too late.if they can be just adjusted, how much will that cost!im not sure what belts they are sorry.will try and find the receipt tomorrow tho and hopefully will say on that.

kazbanz, Mar 11, 4:44am
CV BOOT ! steering rack! engine mount/

christin, Mar 11, 4:48am
in regards to which car!

in the honda ive had one of the engine mounts replaced.the same warrant place pointed that out too and said engine mount rather than bushes so suspect its not that.I know there are multiple engine mounts, but would assume theyd call it a mount as per in the past if it was that.

Unless you are talking about the squealing in the nissan.Remember, im not a car mechanic :-)

1roade, Mar 11, 9:26pm
The nissan belt if it doesn't need replacing is only a 5 minute job so they should only need to charge 1/2 hr labour which is the minimum charge at most garages.

Until we know which bush, it is too hard to try and tell as different bushes take different times.

Hope this helps :)

christin, Mar 12, 12:33am
Thanks, yes it does.:-)

Re the bushes I just thought there were two in the back, a left and a right but shows how muc I know lol, will try and get more info.Would it fail a warrant on any of them!Car needs new warrant so wondering if I could get that first and deal with later as car is very infrequently driven that there is. O rush

Thank you

christin, Mar 12, 1:15am
post number 6. maybe L/R means lower rear rather Left right!Mentions hub so sounds like there is one.:-)

http://nzhondas.com/tech-help/137915-ra1-odyssey-rear-suspention-bush.html

therafter1, Mar 12, 1:25am
As above, 1/2 hour max for the belt adjustment, plus maybe a belt if it has been fragged by the slipping.

The bush on the Oddysey is probably the front bush on the rear trailing arm, cracks aren't unusual and it will probably only have been a comment at the WOF check, so just put it thru again without mentioning it and see what they come back with.

I had an 03 N16 Pulsar for 6 years (bought it new, won't be doing that again), great little car tho.

Your A/C should be run for a minimum of 5 minutes weekly summer or winter.

christin, Mar 12, 1:47am
thanks.i knew last time it would have passed the warrant as they wouldnt have put it through if it was a safety thing.just wondering if over six months down the track could have got worse.though has driven very little in that time.

yes, the car is good. I bought it at 2 years old (for 12k vs the new price of around 32k :-) ).its an LS plus special edition model so all the extras (bigger motor (1.8 vs 1.6), factory alloys, extra airbag, spoiler, white instrument panel etc) so was def a good buy and been a really good car.

Coudlnt moan about the price though and i wouldnt buy new either with th4e costs going down so much in the first two years! (unless i win lotto of course!)

Even tempted to get the new version of the pulsar in a couple of years time when im going to upgrade because its been such a great little car.

thanks!

christin, Mar 12, 3:42am
Used to be the tidal which I heard bad things about.The pulsar is back after 7 years.Www.nissan.co.nz. Better looking than the tidal too and better specs I think

christin, Mar 12, 3:43am
Oops tiida not tidal, damn iPad and autocorrect grrr