How to fix wipers & A/C, fan control on Nissan

j_fung9007, Mar 5, 9:13pm
Recenlty bought a 96 Nissan Pulsar X1 1500cc. Currently have the following problems and I would like to give it a try and fix it myself.
Can someone please give me some directions/hints/tips on what/where to look for!

-There are 3 speed settings for the front wipers, 1) int- based on a adjustable timer, 2) constant slow speed & 3)constant fast speed. Setting 1) doesn't work at all but I can hear a relay or some sort ticking roughly behind the glovebox area. Setting 2 & 3 are working fine.

-The fan/AC control knob has Off, 1, 2, 3, 4. It only works when I turn the knobon full (4).

Any help would be great! Thanks

elect70, Mar 6, 1:37am
Well theresistors on fan controlhave burnt outonlygo onfull speed . The wipersbit morecomplicated. had a jag xl6 did same& even the auto sparks wanted ME to supply him with a wiring diagram .

cypherboy, Mar 6, 5:02am
OK, the heater resistor card is located down in the passengers footwell by theblower motor, has 2 phillips screws holing it in and has a brown 5 wire plug.

The intermittent relay for the wipers is located on the A Pillar, remove the glovebox and look to the left and you should see a little black box with a 6 or 7 pin plug, replace with a tested one from a wreckers and you are good to go

tmenz, Mar 6, 5:41am
The heater blower resistor cards in Nissans have a history of failing.
They are b. expensive for what they are, even from wreckers.
They can be hard to obtain from wreckers for the very reason that most of them faulty. When I was looking, the only place that had one was an osbcure wrecker in the backblocks of Takanini - and that was for $65.
New ones are obtainable but they are priced in the hundreds of dollars - I seem to recall I was quoted about $265 by City Nissan.
I ended up by buying a few dollars worth of surface-mount, high wattage, 1 ohm resistors and repairing our card with epoxy glue and solder.
BTW. The card location is not immediately obvious because it is plugged right into the blower housing so it is air-cooled!

bigfatmat1, Mar 6, 5:59am
I personally would have a go at repairing the wiper control unit pull it apart and resolder this is a very common fault as above replace heater resistor these are actually transistor type on the 96 you can purchase after market through a auto sparky at a good price

carcrazy8, Mar 6, 6:00am
For blower card your local Pan Pacific is the place to go if your in the trade or have a friend who is.even has Nissan part number on plastic bag

ozz1, Mar 6, 6:20am
everyone should move to the south island!$25 for heater resistor or $25 for wiper relay.all tested.and its from a wrecker.we are not all that over priced.

tgray, Mar 6, 6:27am
The resistors for the fan control speeds are $7 at pic a part in auckland.
A VERY common failure and before I knew better, I gave an auto electrician $100 to do the job. (it takes 3 mins to change it).

j_fung9007, Mar 6, 6:40am
Thanks for ALL your replies, I have taken the wiper relay and the blower resistor card out (the card is a bit burnt, no wonder is not going). Going to pic a part and hopefully there are parts left for me to grab.Cheers all!

mm12345, Mar 6, 10:50am
Those n15 nissan pulsar blower resistors have resistor tracks on a ceramic PCB with a blob of solder over a gap in the track, which melts and open-circuits if they overheat.You can fix them easily by dropping a blob of solder right back where the original one has melted away.
They are "air-cooled" so will blow if someone had the fan set on 1 or 2 and blocked the dash outlet vents.Otherwise if they blow, you need to check that the blower motor turns freely and isn't bunged up with dust and crap, or the cabin air filter clogged.