Laser 1600 Manual 1992

kenw1, Mar 2, 1:12am
2 questions, clutch adjustment any tips.Changing gearbox oil ditto any tips.Thanks

clark20, Mar 2, 2:47am
I seem to remember my 1990 had a hydraulic clutch, so maybe the clutch needs replacing. Easy job, and you can drain the gearbox as well. Very easy, no traps.

franc123, Mar 2, 2:50am
Adjustment! They're hydraulic, if it feels like it needs adjusting its probably nearing the end of its life unless one of the cylinders is starting to leak. Gearboxes are drained through a bung in the normal way but filled through the speedo drive, undo the bolt that holds it in and pull the drive and speedo cable out, and fill up until the oil covers the driven gear on the drive when its reinserted into the case, there is a drawing cast into the gearbox case showing this. Getting say half a metre of hose that will fit in the drive hole and a small funnel that will fit in the other end is the tidiest way to fill them up. Make sure the speedo drive o ring is well lubricated and seats properly in the case before tightening the bolt, if its not it can snap off.

kenw1, Mar 2, 4:38am
Thanks for the info, my sons gf's car so vital it is done properly.

ml6989, Mar 2, 7:20am
Don't try to lever the speedo drive out either or the piece that #3 talks about will snap off on the outward trip. If it is stuck after removing the retaining bolt, try rotating it by hand to release it.