Why are spark plugs so darn expensive in NZ?

Page 2 / 2
meathead_timaru, Feb 27, 1:12am
Exactly. You don't.

lk104, Feb 27, 1:58am
You can buy the equivalent in Denso from a Toyota Dealer for $28.75ea.

peril787b1, Feb 27, 9:58am
So almost all of you would rather see the NZ shops go away! Why don't you support your local! Saving $55 is worth having no shops around in the future! Come on, I can understand when it's a high dollar purchase, but $55! Really! There's also the issue of no back-up if something goes wrong.

next-to-normal, Feb 27, 10:41am
its not just $55, thats only one purchase,if i buy merc parts from the dealer its about 5 times dearer its also local people wrecking your car for business as well, i do buy my toolslocal though so i dont have to use a mechanic anymore , its about been ripped off once to often and the human nature of getting a bargin

smac, Feb 27, 7:35pm
But you're not 'buying local', well not in any meaningful way.

As I said above, if a local outlet is going to provide some added value, or some benefit in stocking products locally (like passing on a bulk discount) then sure. What I"m talking about are solely resellers, who are taking the piss with their prices.

Example: pertronix kit for a mini - local guy stocks them for over $300. Can buy direct from US for USD$80 - that's under NZD$200 landed at my door in under a week. I queried this with him and he said "the price is the price, I've got overheads" and got downright angry about it. I bought 2 from US, and paid for my freight by selling the 2nd one on TM, still way under the NZ suppliers price.

Example: Head gasket from BNT: $5, in stock. Same product at Repco: $25 plus freight. WTF!

I have a friend who runs what was predominantly a parts supply business. He's recognized what is happening with overseas supply etc, so now offers full workshop services and a restoration business. i.e. He actually provides a service, and backs it up with parts supply. THAT I will support. But just a middleman! Nope.

kcc55a, Feb 28, 12:22am
Salvo!I thought that was really a short round of gunshots.

xpfairmont, Feb 28, 12:40am
Wrong! It's all about big buying power, which we don't have in NZ. Some of those online shops over seas have warehouse almost as big as your town.
Also there is not much REAL competition in NZ.

pauldw, Feb 28, 1:03am
The online shops don't try to warehouse everything themselves. Many items are sent direct from the manufacturer on their behalf.

craigsmith, Feb 28, 2:19am
You're not getting some special magic deal when buying from overseas. You are buying retail, and the shop you're buying from has to package up the item and organize international freight, and allocate some resources to post-sales in the event the item disappears en route. That shop is purchasing from wholesalers and suppliers in much the same way any NZ shop is importing. So it is a very fair like-for-like comparison.

The NZ importers are also using far more cost-efficient sea-freight, which means their product should end up on the NZ market for not much more than US or Euro equivalents. The only area where you should really be "winning" is the lack of sales tax on foreign purchases, assuming you get the items past NZ customs. US items will have no sales tax to begin with and UK companies should zero-rate VAT for ex-EU shipments.

The basic fundamental point is that if you can order from halfway round the world and have individually air-freighted (hugely expensive relatively speaking) to your doorstep at a total price *much* less than a local shop will offer, then something is very very wrong.

I order bits and pieces for my Euro Ford from the UK. Same story, delivered cost for higher quality parts is commonly less than the local Repco/SCA/whatever junk. My favorite story about this issue though is with regard to shoes - I typically order Nikes and hiking shoes from the US or UK, where 1) the range is far superior (can obtain wide fit variants that are not even stocked in NZ), and 2) the delivered (by express courier) cost is frequently close to HALF the local retailer's best pricing.

This isn't poor little NZ retailers having trouble competing for whatever reason. It is lack of good competition, low consumer expectations, and the ready willingness to take the proverbial.

smac, Feb 28, 2:35am
That's my point, often I can. These local retailers are stuck in an outdated business model where the customers didn't know any better, and/or couldn't access the goods directly elsewhere.

Those days are gone. Some retailers are recognising this, and are adapting and developing their point of difference in other ways (after sales service, other services etc). Others are refusing to budge, and are just bleating in the media about consumers buying direct from overseas. Oh poor us, we can't fleece the NZ public in the way we used to be able to.

There's good parallels between this situation and digital media. Some sellers of music and video are adapting and evolving their business, others are stuck in a rut and just bleating about the good ol' days (when they had a monopoly).

zetec, Mar 1, 8:28am
Craigsmith, do you get your Ford parts from www.fordpartsuk.com ! My last order I made on Thursday the week before Christmas, they arrived on Monday - three days from the UK in the week before Christmas! And they were less than half the NZ price, freight included. I thought it was fantastic service.

shinra, Mar 1, 9:58am
buy online from amazon.com they have a automotive section now it has good diverse range of suppliers, recommend to buy it with other tune up or consumables because postage can be a bit otherwise. forget about ripco that place is a joke.

neville48, Mar 1, 8:35pm
netking wrote:

Why stay there and die. Come to the lucky country!

Yeah, where you can run from a bush fire, wither in a drought and drown in a flood all in the same day

Quotesmac (310 )8:09 am, Tue 26 Feb #9

Love it, Best statement so far today haha.